Friday, April 22, 2005

the tuft

Around 10 AM yesterday I noticed that the back of my head felt weird. When I say weird I mean the kind of weird when you have had a hat on for a few hours then realize that some hair was pressed down in the wrong direction on your head. I quickly brushed my fingers over my head and realized that I had a tuft of hair sticking up. I went quickly to the bathroom and noticed that this was not an alfalfa hair problem, because the hair wasn't sticking straight up. It more looked like I had a miniature pony tail in the back of my head that was pointed upward and forward. I wetted the hair and congratulated myself on conquering this issue before I had too many embarrassing situations.

Fast forward to about 11:30 AM. The feeling on the back of my head returned. How was this possible? Back to the bathroom, more water on the head, and in my cube again, I no longer felt confident that I had conquered the tuft of hair. I hadn't either. Throughout the entire day that little bit of hair kept coming back to haunt me. Even after I got home I had to wet my hair once.

At least I have this problem rather than the opposite problem of no hair. I think I can live with that. Mrs Dust looks good in ponytails, so I wonder if I could pull it off too.

3 comments:

windarkwingod said...

One time my thick and unruly hair was long enough to comb back over my head like a Mexican gangster. In order to keep it pressed down, I had to wear a hat for awhile and then spray a thick coating of "spritz" all over my head two or three times. Later in a French class I heard and felt a mighty crack, touched the top of my head because I had an unsettled feeling, and sure enough, a shelf of hair had busted from the Spritz and was pointing skyward like a mighty ice cliff separating from the mother-berg.... Went to bathroom and had to comb my whole hairdo out. Reemerged in class sporting sheepdog look to many puzzled students...

roamingwriter said...

The question is: does your computer/cubicle situate you so that the back of your head faces the opening? In that case everyone who walked by all day got to see the micro-pony. : )

I witnessed the above mentioned story that Dar described. Pretty accurate, and definitely funny.

shakedust said...

I think you are right that several of the people at work would have seen this before I noticed it. I didn't hear too much snikering throughout the morning, though, which I would have expected.