Thursday, April 07, 2005

i'm not uncool!

Something weird came out in the quick discussion I had with Golden this morning while I was trying to hurry out the door. She made a comment that I looked cool, more as a joke than anything else, and sent me on my way.

I realized, though, that this is about the first point in my life that I am not incredibly uncool. Don't get me wrong. While everyone wants to be cool when they are growing up, I used to take at least some pleasure out of the fact that I wasn't like the shallow cool people. This was one of the paradoxes that I grew up with and that bothered me a great deal. Is it better to not be uncool or to be willing to focus on externalities? Of course when I was younger, I'd rather just fit in.

At this point I had a second revelation. I really don't care so much whether I am cool or not. In fact my personality would probably not allow me to be cool even if I had the opportunity. I am still bothered by the question of why I get the things I want when I no longer care about them. Seems pointless.

5 comments:

windarkwingod said...

Sometimes I wonder if fitting in and beng cool are two different things. To want to fit in (as I did in school, and still do to some extent) can be seen as a mildy desperate act. It was always the people who didn't seem to care that were equally present on the "outcast" lunch table and the "cool people" lunch table. At this point I will admit that I ate at the outcast lunch table because we got to play with our food in public. Looking at another example, take trucker hats. Who in the world started that fad, that thankfully has jumped the shark. If you wore one in the last couple of years, it was pretty cool in certain circles (I never wore one). the person that started it was just probably Machivellian enough make an ungly, uncaring fashion statement and BLING suddenly Paris Hilton is wearing one on TV. Maybe that's the difference between being a leader and a follower, but thats another topic. Anway, unconcernced people who don't give a rip are very cool. That may be why you were noticed. hmmmm..

f o r r e s t said...

dust,
don't change your clothes when you get home. I want to see how cool you look tonight.

Dash said...

Leave it to Forrest to want to see your clothes. Never trust a man with more shoes than screwdrivers.

windarkwingod said...

I have eight pretty cool pairs of shoes and two not so cool that I wore to churches in Ks. I have two, maybe three screwdrivers. I know I have a problem. I'm not taking any screwdrivers to Spain - but I'll look good.

f o r r e s t said...

You'll need to look good in spain. They make fine shoes too!