Wednesday, April 20, 2005

a catholic, a nazarene, a methodist, and a pentecostal

Sorry, no jokes today. Today is an insight into my insecurities. Face it, that is better than my humor anyway.

Yesterday, when the new Pope was announced myself and three other guys at work got into a discussion of what churches we attend. There was a Catholic, a Nazarene, a Methodist (in the fact that he attends a Methodist church), and a Pentecostal (me). That would sound like the start of a bad joke if we walked into a bar together.

Thing is, it is always difficult for me to get into a discussion of what church I attend. This is not an embarrassment of Christ. I will align myself with Christ all day long. This is due to the fact that people who know something about the history of the Assemblies of God often have preconceived ideas about what attending a church in that denomination entails.

The first preconceived idea is that the A/G is a legalistic due to the fact that the church has its roots in the Holiness movement. There are indeed a lot of people still in the Assemblies of God that push a Holiness philosophy, which is sad. While it is good to avoid excesses of the flesh, the implication that a person can be more holy based on the things they do is flat wrong. Holiness only comes from Christ. Also, some of the A/G position papers actually are legalistic, so I have to use some discretion as to what I specifically agree with.

The second preconceived idea is that people in a Pentecostal church are only after experience and are not seeking truth. This does describe some people, but not me.

The third preconceived idea is that Christians, and Pentecostals in particular, are not the brightest bulbs in the lamp. I am always frustrated and upset at those who profess Christianity and reinforce this generalization with their actions. An unfairly trite summary of the history of the Pentecostal movement is that people on the wrong side of the tracks sought God and had an experience. These were not necessarily theologic geniuses. As a result, I tend to be concerned that people who know what church I attend assume that I am a mindless drone in a guilt-by-association stereotype.

I slowly shared the information about the church I attend, but did not go overboard. They have known I go to a Christian church. Now they know the denomination. That aligns me with Christ, and that is what I care about. I have not hid my relationship with God at work. God understands.

5 comments:

Dash said...

Back in the 40's & 50's, my mother's parents were struggling with some of the same sort of ugly mis-perceptions.

My grandpa was raised in the AG; his dad was at the first General Council in Hot Springs. He had a very thoughtful approach to his theology and was often at odds with his peers that would finish the second song from the hymnal step up to the pulpit and pray that God would "give them a message for the people".

He attended a Nazarene Bible college, much to the misgivings of his family - not because it was Nazarene, but because it was a college. After spending some time in the service, he married a sharp gal from the administrative pools in DC - moved back to the Midwest and started planting churches.

I remember my Grandma talking about the kind of AG churches they had. They didn't always fit with the kind of members that filled some of the other pews across the country - ironically they were probably not much like the churches that dot the wide spots along the road near Hot Springs.

To my knowledge, every church that Kenneth and Pearl (yes she was the organist) started is still going strong. Glad Tidings AG in Omaha is the church I was dedicated in. Grandpa always worked another job in addition to pastoring (usually medical equipment sales) so that the church wouldn't be burdened. he always mowed the yard ... always preached the word with what I'm sure he would call "integrity".

f o r r e s t said...

I agree. Whenever any spiritual talk comes up at work, I let them know I am a Christian or one who believes Jesus as my Savior and Lord. Religion gets in the way and denominations tend to cause heated discussions.

f o r r e s t said...

I do know that the A/G church has at times been legalistic, but weren't they also some of the more progressive in terms of musical expression and casual atmospheres? Or am I thinking of non-denominational charasmatic churches?

windarkwingod said...

Yeah, most A/G churches use a projector and sing of the wall stuff. It has been a funny progression. Most traditionalists may complain that not enough spiritual hymns are being sung, but that discounts that many new choruses are actually verbatim scripture from the Psalms. I've always felt angry about my holiness upbringing. I was raised in a church where ladies didn't paint their faces and a man wearing a tie was too proud. I attended whenever my parents would, but I still had long hair and listened to Black Sabbath on Saturdays. I've noticed that many people who feel hurt for whatever reason by the legalism thing end up leaving Christianity. They still believe in some nebulous way, but consign themselves to ineffective silence to nurse their wounds... when I saw the new Pope being anounced I was jealous. The A/G was started just around a hundred years ago. the holiness philosophy was embedded in me through grandparents etc... But that is it for the history. I notice that the A/G tries to create history by aggrandizement of past personalities - be they missionaries, or one of the old male dudes that hang on the walls in Springburg. I wanted the history of the Catholic Church when I saw the new Pope. It was a startling revelation. The A/G is young, and the holiness does have roots in the pietists and the roundheads of the English Civil War, but I never asked to be born holiness, and was not about to let go of what religious heritage I had just because I was at odds. So, I've spent a good portion of my naive spiritual existence looking for reconciliation between the history I was taught and the free-thinking ideas that swam in my head. One thing I did learn was that every word spoken or every decision made has a denomination out there somewhere who has based their existence on refuting it. Not very encouraging. I've also learned that looking through the eyes of love seems to release the bitterness and grace grows. I hope I have written as long as the other commenters in order to showcase my superior intellekt.

Jadee said...

I am a Christian and leave it at that. Define Christian: Christ follower. Like the rest of you, I was born and raised A/G...dedicated on the first Sunday I was breathing oxygen on my own! I have my own issues with the doctrines and practices of the denomination. But I learned awhile back that its a waste of energy to disect and argue the differences. I have also learned that my relationship is with Christ...not because someone said so or that is the way I was raised. I am only responsible for my own...and not to judge anyone else. When sharing my faith with others, I am careful to distinguish that is a way of life and not a religion. The sad thing I found with the denomination was, no matter what you wear or what you listen to, there is always someone who feels responsible for you that you are not "really saved". Can they really be judged by my actions? My God is a just God, but also a God of Unconditional Love and Unending Grace. Thank God for that!!