Wednesday, February 20, 2008

there's the rub

For a long while I have had a dark secret. I don't understand Shakespeare at all. This probably would not be a big deal to most people, but throughout the years I have realized that books and movies that I have liked have been heavily influenced by him. It irritates me that whoever wrote the book or movie is able to get something valuable out of a work that sounds to me to be gibberish.

For example, a very famous passage from Hamlet is here. It bothers me deeply that I have to read and reread this passage to understand what he is saying, and I still am not sure I fully get it. I think this is about being too cowardly to commit suicide, but I am not certain. Am I the only one?

I started thinking about this recently when I was talking with Golden about when I started studying the Bible. Around the time I turned fourteen I got an NIV study bible and for the first time I understood what I was reading. Prior to this the only bibles I had were of the King James variety, which sounds very much like Shakespeare. I rarely understood anything that I read in the Bible up to that point. While I am sure that a lot of this was because I was a kid, most of it had to do with the fact that I naturally have a hard time understanding Old English.

After I got my NIV I was often glued to my Bible because I could understand large portions of it for the very first time. It is for this reason that I am not particularly fond of the King James Version. If I can't follow it, I don't see the purpose.

As always, it is possible that I doth protest too much.

3 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Nobody understands Shakespeare. That's why you read it in high school and the teacher tells you what it means. So, your mom never had you read Shakespeare?

Achtung BB said...

I see why Shakespeare is considered the greatest writer of all time. I can take his work in small amounts, other wise I get overwhelmed very quickly.

f o r r e s t said...

I have not read much Shakespeare other than what was required of me in school. I do enjoy the movies and the plays.

In futuristic movies where books are banned or obsolete, there always is someone with a copy of Shakespeare or someone who can recite from him. In the future that probably won't be me.