Wednesday, February 13, 2008

jarts

For some strange reason, we were discussing lawn darts at work a few days ago. This brought back some memories. It also reminded me of some questions that I have always had about why I had the opportunity to have memories of lawn darts.

My grandparents had a set of lawn darts that all of the grandkids played with when we were growing up. I don't know how many countless games we played, but it was more than just a few. Not only that, this was when we were anywhere from five to twelve years old. We were probably not as responsible with the game as we should have been since we were so young.

I do not know why we were allowed to play the game. None of our parents were uncaring or in the least bit permissive. Our grandparents were even more cautious. I guess no one really conceptualized that the game could be more dangerous than any other outdoor activity.

My experience with Jarts ended one day when my cousin tried to throw a dart over my sister's head and miscalculated. She was struck near her eyebrow, but she was not seriously wounded. It shook everyone up enough that it was the last time we played the game. I think the set got thrown out immediately. I do know I never saw it in the house after that day.

Given that experience, it actually perplexes me that someone ever thought this game was a good idea. I know it originated in an era that was not as litigious as society is now, but in retrospect it was probably a bad idea to design a game in which children hurl metalic missiles at a target near where their opponents are standing.

Lawn darts were actually banned for sale within the United States in 1988, probably due to other experiences where victims were not as lucky as my sister.

Back to my discussion at work, we found a place that apparently sells lawn dart parts to individuals in the United States under the assumption that selling parts gets through a loophole in the Consumer Product Safety Board's rules. I have some moral issues with someone doing this, but at least the people buying the game know what they are getting into. If they don't I hope they do not get the opportunity to learn the hard way.

I do have to offset my overly cautious side, though, with an observation. In it's defense, the game was a whole lot of fun.

5 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I have never played lawn darts. Up till now, I don't think I have ever heard of it. It doesn't sound like a good idea.

GoldenSunrise said...

Were they as sharp as regular darts for a dart board? I also have never played lawn darts, but I had heard of them.

shakedust said...

No, the tips are rounded. They are relatively heavy, though, so they apparently have been known to puncture people's skulls.

Anonymous said...

Ah, memories.

The worst part was actually after the dart hit me. Pappap insisted on putting some medicine on on the cut (I think iodine?), and it really burned.

I didn't know they were made illegal. Kind of a shame, other than getting hit in the head, I enjoyed the game, too.

Portland wawa said...

My mom owned a lawn dart game and I grew up playing them. I didn't know they were illegal now. Now that I ponder the game, yes, it was dangerous. Did it occur to us not to play? No. It was a lot of fun. Try to get the dart in the big hoop. Since it was so front heavy, it wasn't that hard to get in the hoop, even I could do it.