Wednesday, February 27, 2008

business hours

Today, along with my normal work requirements, I have to go to the doctor's office and a car rental place. At some point I need to stop by the bank to fill out an unauthorized charge claim as well. What frustrates me is that, for all of these things, I either have to take time off work or have to rush around immediately after work to take care of them.

With the accident and my recent health issues and everything else going on lately, I have had to make a few phone calls during work time to address non-work issues. I hate having to do that, but there has been no choice. If insurance people and car repair shop people are only available during office hours, I am left with little choice.

I don't understand why a lot of places are only open when most people are at work. Most restaurants couldn't stay in business if they were only open weekdays from 9 to 5, but doctors, banks, and countless other businesses successfully do it.

A lot is made of banker's hours, but I can't disagree. If any bank ever decided to stay open until 9PM rather than until 6PM, I would have to think that it would get spectacular business. The schedule alone would make it stand out from the competition.

If I were a banker, that would have to be a money making idea. Of course, if I were a banker I probably would want to be able to work banker's hours.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I have the same complaints with insurance claims, mechanics, and doctors. They are seldom open when you actually need them. I have a job where it apparently doesn't matter if I'm in the office, so it doesn't seriously effect me. I guess I'm lucky.

GoldenSunrise said...

I talked to the insurance guy, but he needed your "testimony" of the accident. He probably got tired of me answering the home phone. Hello, he is at work!

T said...

Yes, now that I am among the 8:30 to 5'ers I totally miss my short days where I still had "business hours" to handle "business/personal things"

It's a bummer to work the same hours as everybody else.

Doc said...

My clinic is open 7am til 9pm every weekday. We're also open on weekends. I certainly do not have banker's hours. That said, because I do work crazy hours, I get to have time off during regular business hours fairly often.

roamingwriter said...

Banks here are open 9am-2pm. That's it. I think they work in the afternoons but aren't open to the public. Hours here are crazy. I have to sneak out of work a lot - oh yeah, but I don't get paid only Dar does so that makes me feel less guilty!ha.

Sorry to hear you've been having health problems. Hang in there.

shakedust said...

One note. Just so I am clear, the main issue is not that I have a hard time getting away from the office, but that when I do get away the work piles up. I'd prefer not to lose an hour or two in the middle of the day if I can help it.

Doc, I am obviously going to the wrong place. :)