Saturday, February 09, 2008

crash

On Thursdays I have a class that starts at 7:10PM, so I can go home and have supper with Golden and NJ after work and before I go to class. This is one of the things that I really like about this particular class.

As I was headed home last Thursday I approached a section of highway that is frequently congested. For those who know the stretch, it is where Highway 69 crosses College Blvd and I-435 nearly at the same time, so there is a lot of merging traffic. There is a bend on Highway 69 right before the College Blvd exit from the south, so when there is a lot of traffic it can be hard to tell how much the cars ahead have slowed down. This is not something that most people would think about if they were on this highway unless they saw it for themselves.

When I came around the bend I saw that traffic had stopped. My heart leaped into my throat as I hit my breaks, but I calmed down as I realized that I would be able to stop in time. I came to rest probably just short of a car length from the Jeep in front of me. Not perfect driving, but I was satisfied that I had not caused an accident.

I pondered that for a second or two before I realized that maybe the vehicles behind me would have the same problem that I did. I glanced in my rear-view mirror barely in time to see a desparately breaking SUV that was about to plow into me. I had just enough reaction time to brace before I was smacked in the back and pushed into the Jeep in front of me.

There were four cars in the "pile up," and all the drivers got out and instead of talking to each other made quick phone calls on their cells. I was struck (pun intended) with how no one really did anything until they had a chance to call someone. My call was to the police.

Of all of the vehicles in the accident, mine was the only one that suffered much significant visible damage. I had been pushed into the tire of the Jeep in front of me, so my hood is all bent up, but the only thing that I saw that was wrong with the Jeep was that the tire cover was a little torn. My back bumper is crumpled, but the only problem I saw with the vehicle behind me was a cracked license plate cover.

At first, the lady in front of me acted irritated that I hit her. After she had time to look over all of the damage she commented that I had probably stopped in time and the person behind me probably pushed me into her. It had not occurred to me that she had not realized that from the start. She was very nice after that.

The police arrived about fifteen minutes after the accident, took statements and pictures, and blocked off a lane of traffic. The police officer who was taking statements seemed sympathetic to my situation since I took the most damage and was not at fault. I have not yet seen the actual police report, but the biggest reason I wanted them there was as evidence that I did not actually cause the accident. That said, I do feel for the two women behind me as they were at fault.

I will be dropping my car off at the auto body shop on Monday so they can send the insurance company an estimate. The car looked bad at first because the hood is crumpled, but I only really see damage to the hood and to the rear bumper. I am hoping that is as far as the damage goes, since I do not want my car totalled.

Thankfully, no one had obvious injuries. I did feel sore in my neck yesterday, but that appears to be going away today. This really could have been a lot worse than it was, so I should be thankful.

3 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I'm glad you are alright. If you need a good attorney about your neck, I might suggest Lionel Hutz.

T said...

Glad ur ok. Sorry to hear what happened. Hope your car is not totalled too. That can be a bummer.

Portland wawa said...

Wow, a four car accident and you are ok. That's great. You should have gone to the doc to get checked out if your neck hurt. Hope your insurance gives you a good rental.