Thursday, February 07, 2008

i know it

Something that concerns me when I talk to people is that they think I am mocking them. The reason that this concerns me is that I have a tendency to pick up on other people's idiosyncrasies and imitate them, albeit unintentionally. If I talk to someone with a southern accent by the time I finish the conversation I am fighting the urge to elongate my vowels. If I talk to someone who stutters, I have to resist stutters more than usual. If I talk with someone who uses a word or phrase a lot I have the urge use it as well.

I have observed this last tendency a lot in myself and in others. My father-in-law uses the phrase, "I know it," when he agrees with what someone is saying. Since I have been with Golden I do the same thing, though not as much as I did a few years ago.

I think that I subconsciously want to imitate others to indicate that we are on the same level. I do not know this for sure, but that is usually something that is important to me when I am conversing with someone else. It could also just be a dumb physical reaction to listening to someone else talk.

5 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

you know it.

Achtung BB said...

I think I do the same thing. I remember once I was talking with this English guy and by the end of the conversation I was saying "Bloody Hell with them Yanks!"

GoldenSunrise said...

I think both you and I are more impressionable than some.

Portland wawa said...

I start to pick up on accents too, but I never had the desire to try to stutter. That's new.

T said...

When I use to say "I know" I got in trouble for knowing it all! :)