Thursday, February 21, 2008

musical guilty pleasures

I have been meaning to post on this for a while, but I haven't gotten around to making a list that I felt covered the gamut. After reading Forrest's post on musical artistry, though, I decided that it is a good time to list a few of my musical guilty pleasures.

First, I have a few rules. Some music that I like that would be considered a guilty pleasure by someone else, but I would not consider it a guilty pleasure for myself. I have two qualifying factors for whether I consider something a guilty pleasure. I have to like the music in question enough that I can't fool myself into thinking otherwise, and I have to be genuinely embarrassed about it.

Now, on to displaying what I have to be embarrassed about.

"I Will Survive" (Gloria Gaynor)
I figure I'll start with what I think is the most shocking of my guilty pleasures. There is no reason that I should like this song. It is not targeted to me. That does not stop me from loving (and, ashamedly, that is the right verb) how the song slowly builds tension until the chorus. I can't help but get sucked into this one.

Just about anything by Creed
By rights this should not be here. I am not always embarrassed to admit that I like Creed. There are so many people who think that this band was the worst thing that happened to music in the late 90s, though, that I have to hesitate before confessing that "Higher" is among my favorite songs.

Josey and the Pussycats
Golden nonchalantly listed this as my top guilty pleasure once. Specifically, I like the theme to the movie that came out a few years ago. I never actually saw the movie, but I do like the song.

"These Boots Were Made for Walking" (Nancy Sinatra)
The Nancy Sinatra version is the only one I can recall. I don't know what else to say.

Michael W. Smith
I have to work him in here, but I am not sure how to do it. There are specific songs of his that I like and I am embarrassed about it ("Give it Away"). There are specific songs of his that I like and am not embarrassed about it ("Secret Ambition"). There are songs of his that I simply don't like (anything in the last fifteen years).

I'm sure there is more that I can't think of right now, but this is enough to reveal for the moment. So, do you have any guilty pleasures as well?

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I wasn't too shocked.. I just think it's funny. The funniest was "These Boots were made for walking."

My guilty pleasure is more of a type of music: blue grass.

Portland wawa said...

I will survive, really? I can't blame you for liking old Michael W. Smith. I loved him as a teenager.

My guilty pleasures are I once was a big fan of journey, still like them too. I too liked Creed Higher back in the 90's. I am sure there are more, BB will point them out.

Achtung BB said...

Yes I will. Off the top of my head, a certain X-mas album you use to own made me sick
I don't have a lot of guilty pleasure songs other than some old 70's disco songs. I find the disco era rather amusing, especially the way disco dancers would dress. I can't keep my feet still when ABBA's "Dancing Queen" comes on.

Anonymous said...

I've found that I like a lot of blue grass, as well, Golden. When Five Iron Frenzy broke up some of the members formed Brave Saint Saturn... I listen to one of their albums with some regularity still. I like "Born to Be Wild"... which people have found amusing since my lifestyle is pretty far from what is generally considered "wild." I like many of Creed's songs, also. There are probably a lot more, but that's why I can think of for now.

f o r r e s t said...

A couple of months ago I was thinking about MWS and considered "The Big Picture" a guilty pleasure. I hadn't listened to it in ages. There was a time in 7th grade that I liked it and thought that it had some good songs. I was thinking I would like to listen to it again. A couple weeks later, I found it at the library, SCORE! I put it in my CD player and turned the volume up....boy was I dissappointed. It was horrible and hasn't aged well. I should have left the fondness of the memory in tact.

f o r r e s t said...

BTW, I liked the movie of Josie and the Pussycats. I think my guilty pleasure come in the form of movies.

Dash said...

... npw your back - from outer space .....

gonna be hearing that in my head for a while!

Oh where to start - REO Speedwagon, Air Supply, Garth Brooks ... oh, and the theme from Xanadu.

I left a copy of 'The Big Picture' in Roger's van about a year ago. He found it (scratched) and sent me a new one. I agree with Forrest - very disapointing. MWS 'Project' and '2' were much better. I would pay real money (20bucks) to see him play some of that old stuff.
>
>
>
>
>
except friends (I have some standards)