Saturday, March 04, 2006

the oscar grouch

I have a hard time caring about anything that happens in Hollywood. When Ben left Jennifer I couldn't have cared less. When Brad left Jennifer I couldn't have cared less. It's not been a good thing to be famous and named Jennifer lately. The reason I don't care is that I don't have much reason to care. From my observations, most Hollywood personalities are shallow and self-centered, which are two things that I absolutely detest. If I know that I know that I know that an actor or actress has more depth I might care some, but there aren't many of those.

When awards season comes around I am a little torn. I like the idea of awarding people who are good at what they do, but the awards tend to just be an opportunity for people to pat themselves on the back. What I mean is that handing out awards is great, but the process shouldn't take four hours.

Also, I have mentioned before that I dislike it when I feel manipulated emotionally in any way. It always feels like manipulation when specific movies and actors are described in terms that make them sound like the gifts of the gods and in a tone that is supposed to bring a tear to the eye. That's not going to change, though, because I am nothing like the typical Oscar viewer demographic.

Finally, if the Oscars are really supposed to be about talent, why is it that 90% of the people nominated for acting awards will be drop-dead gorgeous? That is way out of synch with the general population. An ugly guy has a chance to get an award, but not much. An ugly woman has literally no chance. I want to see an ugly woman win best actress or supporting actress rather than an attractive woman who played an ugly woman in a movie.

For all my griping, I probably won't be watching the show this year anyway. Golden is teaching on Waffles and Spaghetti at home group and I can't miss that.

14 comments:

roamingwriter said...

The ceremonies are sometimes fun to watch, definitely too long though. I can't get excited enough about the private lives of people I don't know to keep track. However, I did do a mock oscars ceremony in Spanish for my language school graduation. It got lots of laughs. (good thing or it would have just been awkward...)

f o r r e s t said...

News alert - ugly man won best actor.

Good job Reece - she was great as June Carter.

I just find it a little farfetched that the same 5 films are nominated for all the awards - the ancillary awards. Best make-up, costumes, music, etc.

T said...

YAY Reece! Who won best Actor?

shakedust said...

Yeah, I was impressed that the academy gave the award to Philip Seymour Hoffman. He really isn't very attractive (not that I'd know). Witherspoon, Clooney, and Weisz are all generally considered very attractive, though.

f o r r e s t said...

What, you can't be beautiful and a great actor?

shakedust said...

My beef isn't that attractive people get the awards. It is that the percentages are skewed enough that some step in the process is filtering out the ordinary and ugly looking people. Three lookers and one ordinary looking guy simply is not a reality anywhere but in movies or modeling.

I don't really think this is an issue with the academy. It is an issue with the fact actors and actresses are usually hired for looks and talent, so the pool of performances that are possible for nominations are going to be strongly tilted toward those with good looks. If you are honoring the best of the best, though, I have to believe that a large number of those who are truly best are those who are talented but aren't deemed pretty enough to draw crowds to the theaters.

f o r r e s t said...

I don't know, I work with a lot of handsome men.

You said:
...those who are truly best are those who are talented but aren't deemed pretty enough to draw crowds to the theaters.

I don't believe that for a second. William H. Macy, Jack Black, Will Ferrel, Steve Carroll, Napolean Dynomite, Vin Disel, the guy from Sideways, Kevin Spacey, Phillip Seymore whatever, Tom Hanks -hello, he is not a looker! Owen Wilson, jack nicholson, rober dinero, al pacino, etc.

I don't see the oscar nominees as uber-attractive. They seem pretty normal looking to me.

When you take care of your body (or have enough money to hire a personal trainer and chef) who wouldn't look good?

When I was at KU, 8 out of 10 people were attractive to Hollywood standards. so that standard seems pretty normal to me, that is why I don't see hollywood as super attractive. They just seem normal with nice clothes and hair cuts and lots of make-up.

YOu would fit rith in - dust!

shakedust said...

Most (not all) of the people on that list are commedians and they are quirky looking more than anything else. That helps getting laughs. Plus, there is the endearment factor for some of those guys (especially Hanks).

Also, men can get away without looks more than women. Of the ten people nominated for best acress or supporting actress the only person who might not be considered a looker is Judi Dench, and that is for age reasons only. Golden and I agreed last night that she does look very good for her age.

shakedust said...

Of course I would fit in! :D

shakedust said...

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on what average-looking is. :)

f o r r e s t said...

What's to disagree on? Average is good. I am just saying that they are not any better or worse looking that most of America given their circumstances. Some may be good looking but that is not outside of the norm for what I see in a normal day.

your whole point is that the oscar's favor actors who are beautiful and I know that is just not true based on past winners. If anything the Oscars have a reputation of awarding the pure talent and those who take on risky roles. The same goes for the films, the big glitzy eyecandy film, that makes a ton of money, usually is not up for best picture.

Maybe your thinking of the MTV movie awards.

shakedust said...

I'm not picking on the Oscars so much as the industry.

Let's say somebody were to walk down the sidewalk, pick the first ninety you passed, add the ten we already mentioned to the group, and rank them based on common perceptions of beauty. I would be absolutely shocked if at least eight of the ten I mentioned were not in the upper 20% of this beauty ranking.

If you disagree, there isn't much more I can say.

shakedust said...

first ninety women I mean.

f o r r e s t said...

You really do need to get out more.

It would be a toss up on where they land.

It also depends on where you look. A college campus will have more attractive men and women, because they still care how they look. The 5 nominees would be in the top 50%. The plaza will also have more attractive men and women, because it is a healthy urban enviroment where people don't mind walking - again top 50%. Walmart- yes top 20%.

You also need to realize the wonders that make-up does to make a person look beautiful. Anyone can look like a star, when made up.