Thursday, March 02, 2006

merely average

For my entire life I have been used to having one strength--academics. I am not really athletic or outgoing or rich, so smarts is what I have. I remember when I was in fifth grade my nickname was Einstein. It wasn't an affectionate name by any means, but it did always make me feel I had at least one strength.

I actually think I am stronger in a classroom setting than doing an actual job that uses the material from the classroom, so I place quite a bit of my value in what I do or have done in school.

Enter grad school. I think what has been the greatest shock to my system since I started is that even when I am actually trying I don't do much better than average for the class. In both of the classes I am in right now I have around an A-. That is about the median grade in both situations. On the test I took last week I was right at the median score for the class (until the prof threw out a question). That's not supposed to happen when I take a couple of days to study.

I think that I have probably been a bit arrogant about what I thought were my educational capabilities. I always figured I could do what I wanted to in the classroom if nowhere else. I was obviously a little mistaken. Right now I would appreciate an occasional easy A. It doesn't mean that I'll get one.

7 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, but you are in grad school with a bunch of smart kids. You have to be smart to get into grad school and if you are in that level of education, you are obviously going to study. So being average??? what can you do when everyone gets and A?

Go Jayhawks!

GoldenSunrise said...

I agree with forrest. Hello, you have an A!!! You are going to be challenged and that's good for you. You are in a top notch program. You could go to a different school that doesn't have an intense MBA program.

windarkwingod said...

Interesting that the issue at hand is not the difficulty of the class and the fear of not learning. the issue seems to be the self-destructive introspection of an intelligent being who is attempting to cope with an illusionary weakness. If you get below an A- you must give in and become cool.

f o r r e s t said...

It is good to have Darwin back!

Dash said...

I'll agree with golden on this one. But then again ... I think my selection of a grad school would have a lot more to do with how little I could do and still get the degree.

Maybe that's why I'm not in grad school!?

Achtung BB said...

A- really sucks. C's get degrees!

shakedust said...

Not in the KU business grad program. A "B" average means academic probation. :)