Wednesday, March 08, 2006

an offer i can't refuse

Back when Golden was actively looking for movies to add to our Blockbuster queue she recommended the Godfather movies. Neither of us had seen any of the series, and it looked relatively cool, so I went along. So far we have watched The Godfather I and II. We have III right now and will probably see it this weekend or next weekend.

Before watching these movies I actually did not have very high expectations for what I was going to see. I do not always like movies that are high in testosterone content (think Rocky), so I expected that it might be a little boring. I really have enjoyed the storyline, though, for both of the movies that I have seen already. Specifically, I have felt Michael's descent from morality through the first two movies has been significant. This has been the theme and what has kept me interested thus far. My understanding is that the third movie has more to do with the results of his descent.

Something that really has started to get annoying is how stinking long the movies are. The Godfather II is well over three hours long. The other two come real close. I know there is a lot that the characters have to do in the stories, but it is hard to pay attention for that long. To watch a movie like that is to commit an entire night to the endeavor. The movies have been good enough, though, that I couldn't refuse the offer.

10 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

The Godfather is definitely a character driven movie. I enjoy watching the changes in the personalities over time.

Dash said...

You know the sequals are going to be good when they contain the only two actors to win oscars for playing the same character. (Brando and DeNiro)

roamingwriter said...

Good story telling, but long I agree. Sometimes it's hard to watch the downward spiral stories. If I know for certain a movie is going to be sad, I often chicken out and don't watch it. The Godfather ones were strong story telling and have had a cultural influence that makes them worth seeing.

f o r r e s t said...

i am a little confused - are you saying that movies that are high on testosterone are boring? Or that you knew that the Godfather was not high on testosterone so you thought it might be boring?

shakedust said...

I was concerned that the movie was going to focus more on mob violence and control within the Corleone family than on a real character-driven storyline. I think a better description of what I was getting at than Rocky would have been a Steven Segal movie, but I beat up on him at coffee night not too long ago, so I thought I needed to spread the love.

Achtung BB said...

Don't knock "Rocky", but Steven Segal? Didn't you like that one movie he was in when he played a cop out for revenge? Was that "Out for Justice", "Hard to Kill" "Above the Law", etc..

f o r r e s t said...

Seriously Dust, were you "concerned"? :)

Or was the Seagal movie your thinking of "Fire Down Below", "On Deadly Ground", "Under Siege 1 & 2",or "Marked for Death"

shakedust said...

Marked for Fire on Deadly Ground 2.

f o r r e s t said...

i'm not sure I've seen that one but it sounds good - like a fresh approach for the cop who lost his badge but is out for justice.

roamingwriter said...

I just saw a Segal movie last weekend, maybe my first I'm not sure. I laughed so hard in a couple places we had to back it up and watch again. He's suppose to be comedy, right? Actually there were just a few good lines...Toxic Menace, set in Kentucky - if that helps.