Thursday, March 16, 2006

no more pencils

Last night was my last class for this half of the semester. I only have one class next half of the semester so I am celebrating at the moment. One class is completely manageable after having to deal with two classes for eight weeks. I had few final observations.

  • If people are told that their group presentation should last 30 minutes, they will overshoot by a lot to avoid getting their grade docked. Of four teams who had to do a final presentation, three went 50 minutes or more, including my team. One went 30 minutes. The presentation was supposed to be 30-40 minutes.
  • The further you get into a semester the more kindhearted most professors get. Stuff I got dinged for earlier in class I got away with more later.
  • Most everyone I have heard do a speech has the ability to make it sound like they care about something way more than they really do.
  • It is a lot easier to give a PowerPoint presentation when you have a screen with the presentation in front of you. I usually struggle through informative speeches, but I didn't have any problems with my speech last night.
  • Other people can be more teacher's pets than me (I have been careful not to give that impression because I sometimes looked like a suck up in undergrad).
  • I watched Serenity after class as part of my celebration that I don't have homework this week. It really is worth watching if you like Sci-Fi. If you don't, it really isn't.
  • I am really looking forward to this upcoming week and a half, even if I have to paint the baby's room this weekend.

10 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I am very proud of you. Good work. Let's celebrate with Chipotle tomorrow night. Thanks for agreeing to paint the baby's room.

f o r r e s t said...

I love the sense of freedom you feel when you accomplish something big - like finishing a class. Good Job! Now you are on spring break.

Do people in group presentations mean to overshoot their time or is it a case of poor editing. Some professors may dock points for going to long. A lot of grad school prof's like to apply real business situations and I could see how a group has 30 minutes to make a presentation in front of a very important client and the important client gets annoyed when he is running 20 minutes late. Think Donald Trump and the Apprentice...

Sorry, I am rambling...I just say that because from my experience it wasn't a time issue but one of too much information and the lack of confidence to edit and make it concise. Who cares, right? You're getting A's.

Have you picked the color for the baby's room? Any themes? You should have fun painting it, don't fret! Pick out some good music and throw in few chipotles and your set.

roamingwriter said...

There is a beauty to something being finished. Next week you can add baby's room to that list. Tell me YOU didn't talk for 50 minutes?

shakedust said...

This specific professor has been sending (probably unintentional) signals that he would rather have us provide too much information than not enough. I think his grading style to this point has encouraged overkill.

I don't know if I will get A's or not. I think I will because my grades going into finals were decent, but there were possible pitfalls for both classes in the finals.

shakedust said...

Oh yeah, I talked for 12-15 minutes.

windarkwingod said...

Congrats on 200, midway point and the fuzzy picture we got of a baby! Funny how we adjust to professors. Scary how we can sound passionate about anything we need to.

GoldenSunrise said...

Forrest,We are painting the baby's room a light blue. The colors in the comforter and border is a denim blue and sage green. The name of the crib set I bought is locomotion. It has planes, trains, and automobiles. I am going to focus on trains. Dust has a cute wooden train toybox.

f o r r e s t said...

Sounds good! boys love all things wheels - trains, trucks, cars, tractors.

Dash said...

And just why didn't dust report back on the colors???

shakedust said...

What are colors?