Monday, March 13, 2006

more late night fun

I know I have done something like this before, but it is too good to pass up.

I was watching the History Channel last night and saw multiple commercials that insulted my intelligence. Two really stuck out.

Do you want to be your own boss? Set your own hours? Make a ton of money? To watch the commercial for this site you'd wonder why anyone actually works a real job. The web site is even better. The best question is "What monthly income do you want from this?" I wonder if anyone actually selects the lowest dollar range listed.

It's a tempting offer if you forget that things that look too good to be true probably are.

Once you are rich from working at home what more do you need? If you watched the QRay ionized bracelet commercial, you would probably say you needed to improve the quality of your life. What exactly does that mean? The website implies that you are supposed to be healthier, but avoids giving specifics for what I assume are legal reasons.

I am glad I have access to such educational programming. Without the History Channel I would never figure out how to make money or give a bracelet company that money. Those who learn from the History Channel are doomed to be financially depleted by it.

12 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I can't believe you actually looked up the websites.

shakedust said...

You can't believe that I looked up the websites? I'm always interested in how the latest scam works. It gives some insight into how people think.

f o r r e s t said...

well, if you think you learned anything new, you should share them with us so we don't fall prey to a scam.

GoldenSunrise said...

I have been scammed before because I deparately wanted out of my previous job. I know BB tried something similar and lost money. I did the medical billing thing. I think they prey on people who hate their job.

shakedust said...

Some scams are more cleverly crafted than others. What intrigues me about a lot of them is that when you look at them from the outside most look pretty stupid, but when placed within the context of specific people's motivaions or perspectives of how the world works and they become more plausible. I am not above being taken by some scams as well.

I am definitely disgusted at the people who perpetuate these scams, and largely because they really do prey on people's greed, fears, desires, etc.

f o r r e s t said...

Golden, that is funny that you mention BB and his scam. We all saw that coming from a million miles away and tried to warn him. I wonder if he got his money back.

I usually, if not always, distrust someone with a salesman-like personality (and that includes some preachers)and that has kept me safe from being scammed.

Sawyer on LOST does some good scamming.

shakedust said...

I don't want to air dirty laundry or anything, but I think we are talking about different scams. You may want to talk to BB offline about that.

f o r r e s t said...

Are you talking to me. I wasn't aware of any "dirty laundry." I really don't know what you are talking about.

shakedust said...

If I say that BB tried something that didn't didn't deliver as promised it would make him sound gullible. That is not necessarily the case, though.

I don't want to discuss his business dealings online for everyone to see. I shouldn't have jumped in to clarify.

Dash said...

As the victim of the "prescription discount card" multi-level marketing plan (and a former Tupperware consultant)I'm intereted in hearing about this from BB.

... not that he would be gullible ... but because I like comiserating.

roamingwriter said...

I once had a very enthusiastic sale-type guy talk me into writing a bunch of scripts for a tv show - including interfacing with a lawyer...etc. He skipped town with thousands of dollars from several "clients" who had my number. In the end I was lucky I hadn't been paid for my work, so no one came back on me. Beware Ed Burns, if that was his real name.

windarkwingod said...

info-mercials in Spain seem to claim all types of unsubstantiated results. The latest I've seen is a pill that sucks up fat from inside your stomach. I hope it is not a sponge. That would be a sure-fire way to gain weight instead of lose it.