Wednesday, January 30, 2008

gag me

This is just a note that I will be discussing an issue with my digestive system in this post. If that makes you queasy, there is no shame in skipping this one.

Very early in the morning on Tuesday I had some stomach problems that kept me up for most of the night. I don't want to overstate it, but I had a relatively severe stomach ache. This used to happen to me frequently, but the last time it happened was over two years ago.

Under normal circumstances this probably wouldn't be too noteworthy. However, yesterday at work I mentioned that to relieve the pressure on my stomach I gagged myself a few times. I truly believe that shortened the length of time I had to deal with the pain and the severity of the pain because some stuff that would have had to go all the way through my digestive system didn't.

One emphatic reaction that I got was that, given the choice between bearing the pain and gagging one's self, it is better to just bear the pain. My position is that if I am in severe pain, losing sleep, and all of the other alternatives that I can conceptualize do not work, that forcing myself to vomit is an acceptable step.

This is not a big deal, but it does surprise me that someone would prefer to bear the pain rather than take an uncomfortable step that could relieve the pain. I started to wonder if I am in the majority or minority. The question I have is, if you are in the same position where you have limited alternatives and you are in pain and losing sleep, is gagging yourself still off limits?

5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

It would never occur to me to gag myself because how can I be sure that I would feel better?

I forced myself to vomit years ago, for different reasons, and I never want to do it again.

Achtung BB said...

I think I understand what you mean. The other night I was having congestion problems that were keeping me awake. I took some medicine, but it wasn't working, so I took some nasel spray (which the doctor has warned me not to take)just so I could get some sleep.

f o r r e s t said...

Honestly, I have never had pain that would make me consider gaging, so I really can't imagin the situation you are describing.

Don't get addicted, though!

GoldenSunrise said...

It scares me that you were successful in gagging yourself. And I know that you have done it before, so don't become bulimic.

It would never occur to me to gag myself either, like Wah-Wah said. I would rather endure the pain. If the pain is that bad, you should see a doctor.

T said...

I agree with Golden, if the pain is that severe, I think a doctor might be a good choice. But I also understand where you are coming from on the gag part. If I was in that much pain and I found something that could relieve it--then I'd probably do that. I'm sure the reaction you get from most people is the concern of eating disorder. I would not associate this circumstance with that, but I can understand how others might.