Saturday, January 12, 2008

second winded

When I was in college I did not get much sleep. Even so, I still made a habit of watching movies on Friday night until deep into the night. I would go out with Golden and do whatever we were set to do for the night, then I would watch two or three movies until four in the morning. Sometimes I would stay up even later.

The trick for me was that even if I felt tired early in the night, I would always get a second wind that I could use to get through the night. That is also how I pulled all-nighters when I needed to for school. There was generally a good chunk of time in the early morning where I was not horribly tired.

I have noticed that over the last few years my ability to go without sleep has diminished. I still like to stay up on Friday nights watching movies, but now it is not uncommon for me to fall asleep in the middle of my first movie for the night. It is more difficult for me to get to my second wind, and when I do I am more tired than I used to be.

As when I was in school, Friday night movies are what I look forward to every week. Falling asleep in the middle of one kind of feels like an injustice. All I can say is I should probably increase my caffeine intake.

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

In college, you didn't watch movies in a comfie recliner on your laptop. I think that makes a huge difference.

T said...

The recliner and laptop probably do make a difference. I couldn't fall asleep tonight, so I went to the pc to play a game--now I'm ready for bed!

Achtung BB said...

I know what you mean. My heyday for staying up that late was in high school and college, where I could stay up till 4 or 5 in the morning. I can stay up till about 1am these days. I think some of the problem is that I can't sleep in anymore.

Portland wawa said...

Whose fault is that? Oh yeah, me and the kids.

I like to go to bed early and get up before the kids and watch TV on sunday morning. That's what I look forward to, my CSI of the week.

Unknown said...

I remember those nights!

On a related note, yesterday I recalled to a friend with some consternation how you were able to sleep an amazing amount of time on Saturday morning while my body had me up long before.

Over the past few years, I realized just how little sleep I got during college and how I really was tired all the time. That's probably the part I miss the least.

f o r r e s t said...

Welcome to adulthood.

Oh, I don't think anyone got much sleep in college.