Thursday, January 10, 2008

all set

Every time someone sets me up with a ready-made joke or even a catch phrase, I have a difficult time with resisting completing it. When I do resist it feels like I missed a significant opportunity.

Most everyone who knows me well understands this, but what most people do not know is that I crack these comments silently when I am the only audience as well. For example, I have a "Personal" folder in my inbox at work. Almost every time I move an email into this folder I tell myself, "This time it's personal." It's not funny even to me any more, but I still go through the process.

So, for those people who complain when I try to complete every setup, which is nearly everyone I know, just remember that I give myself the same treatment everyone else gets. Also, in a way, I am giving everyone the opportunity to tell me that what I just said was funny the first four hundred times they heard it. I wonder why most people resist that obvious setup.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I'm the same way. I try to be a aware that it can get old however.

GoldenSunrise said...

Are you actively keeping your ears alert for the set-ups? Most people aren't consciously seeking those out. I'm not a quick thinker either.

T said...

"To all the jokes I've loved before, who travelled in and out that door...."

Portland wawa said...

I know what you are talking about, but I don't have that problem. As BB says, I have no sense of humor. Sometimes I wish BB would pass it up, I hear some lines so many times.