Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the silver-haired screen

A few days ago one of my coworkers was talking about how he has watched a lot of older movies and he recently learned how few people have actually watched many old movies. He noted that he has seen thousands of black and white movies, which was met with a little skepticism.

Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while should know that I am very willing to watch an older movie that looks promising. I do not seek out movies because they are older, though, and some things about older movies can annoy me, such as pacing. I have found some very good movies from the years before I was born. I have found some lousy films as well. What I am looking for in a movie can be found in both old and new movies, so there is no reason for me to focus only on movies made recently or only on movies made years ago.

I think that many movies get ignored by the typical American in part because they are in black and white or because none of the actors are current A-list stars. While these are not the only reasons that a lot of people do not watch older movies, they are the first things that come to my mind. Like with most decisions that people make, I am sure some of the reasons people have are valid while others are not.

I have a few simple questions for today. Do you watch old movies? Do you prefer more recent movies when given the choice? Why?

4 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I like old movies with Yule Brunner, Maureen O'Hara, Cary Grant or maybe some Alfred Hitchcock. I love North by Northwest, it has both Cary Grant and it's an Alfred Hitchcock!

Achtung BB said...

I don't rule movies out because they are old. I'm interested in seeing more of the classics. However, my favorite movies are the ones that have been made in my lifetime.

GoldenSunrise said...

As you know, the only old movies that I have seen are because of you. Some have been good. I prefer current movies.

T said...

I don't typically watch old movies. I think it's because -- 1. I do not like black and white and 2. Newer movies are easier accessed. Either way, for whatever reason--I don't watch old movies--typically