Thursday, January 24, 2008

moment of truth

I watched The Moment of Truth last night. This is probably something I am supposed to be embarrassed about because there are probably some bad reasons to want to watch the show. I think my reasoning is good, though.

For those who have not seen the barrage of commercials for the show, it is a game show where people have to answer questions under a polygraph exam to win money. Some of the questions were relatively benign ("Do you belong to Hair Club for Men?") and some were downright sinister ("Have you delayed having kids because you are not sure you are going to spend the rest of your life with your wife?").

I am intrigued by the show because I am always wondering what people are thinking. The idea that someone has to be completely forthright about himself or herself in a way that is not normally considered socially acceptable is very appealing. I like being around people who do not feel they have to put on an act largely because I do not like dishonesty, and this same part of me is what wants to watch the show.

The obvious drawbacks of the show are that it has the potential to destroy relationships and livelihoods, and it has the potential to make pariahs out of the contestants. Also, some of the questions are vague or broad enough to not have a definite yes or no answer, even if at first glance they appear to be simple yes or no questions. Finally, this is not a show for kids, but no one should have needed me to mention that.

One thing that the show reaffirms to me is my belief that everyone has something about them that is not acceptable by society's standards. Everyone has some opinion that would offend most other people, or some habit that would disgust most other people, or something else in their being that most other people would find detestable. While everyone has these things, a lot of people express a sort of righteous indignation when the areas where other people don't fit into society's norms are revealed.

I am always amazed at the shock people have when a public figure is disgraced. People are human and will make mistakes. Some are big. Some are small. Some mistakes are indicative of bigger problems. Some are just proof of that person's humanity. While this is certainly not meant to be an excuse for bad behavior, it is a reason to think twice before passing judgment on the fallen.

For what it is worth, I really liked the last guy on the show. He seemed like the type of person who would tell the truth even if he wasn't being tested for it. Of course, he had made a lot of serious mistakes in his life that were only starting to become clear by the end of the show. Everyone makes mistakes, though.

5 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I guess what I don't understand is why anyone would go on that show if they knew they had something to hide? Is the money worth the humilation of yourself or your spouse?

GoldenSunrise said...

It's like people airing out their dirty laundry for all to see.

Maybe the spouses go over anything that may come out in the show so there are no surprises?

Portland wawa said...

Some people want to be humiliated on TV, look at all the people who try out for American Idol?? They must know they are terrible?? Right, but they come on anyway.

f o r r e s t said...

The show was very disappointing and did not live up to the hype of the commercials.

It is pretty easy to see that they get you on subjects that one cannot easily answer yes or no even when you don't have something to hide.

T said...

I've seen this advertised, If I were sitting down to watch tv when it was on, it would probably be a show that would intrigue me. I agree that everyone has something about them that others in society would be bothered by, I think some people are just better at hiding them then others.