Wednesday, January 09, 2008

it's all a blur

I have been noticing something recently that I do not remember seeing before. There are a lot more blurry areas on the television now than there have been in the past.

As far back as I can remember if something on TV was blurred it was either due to modesty issues (certain parts of an exposed anatomy would be blurred out) or due to identification issues (some people's faces, license plate numbers, etc. would be blurred out). Lately just about anything that has a company logo gets blurred out.

Specifically, when I watch a show that displays people in everyday life any company logos on shirts, hats, pop cans, and other products are frequently blurred. I have to ask why. There are not any good reasons that I can imagine, but there are a few mediocre ones I have considered.

Is there some exclusive product promotion agreement that makes the producers of the show want to blur out the word "Pepsi" to keep marketers from Coke from getting mad? Is there some concern about Calvin Klein suing if someone who does not embody that brand image is shown wearing a Calvin Klein logo on a shirt? Do the video editors just get a kick out of blurring whatever they can get away with blurring? Whatever it is, I guess I will have to get my fix of ogling Pepsi cans elsewhere.

4 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I always believed that if a show didn't want to endorse a product, they made the actors drink "Duff" beer or something made up. If it's real TV, maybe they could get in trouble, for endorsing Pepsi without authorization. Like if a criminal is wearing a Pepsi shirt, they may not want that "type" of publicity???

Achtung BB said...

Since I don't watch a lot of TV, I haven't noticed.

GoldenSunrise said...

I agree with WaWa. If it's a reality tv type show--I'm guessing that if someone wears or has a name brand item then the show would probably have to pay royalties to that name brand?

T said...

or they refuse to put it on air unless they get paid for the promotion? I think it's just easier to blur the line then define the line.