Monday, June 05, 2006

free help

Golden's family visited this weekend and they went to work on our house. Besides some cleaning, Golden's dad replaced the ballast on the fluorescent lights in the kitchen, replaced receptacles in the baby's room with tamper resistant ones, and hooked up water to the icemaker on our refrigerator, and Golden's mom decorated the receptacle plates in the baby's room.

As I have said before, I am not much of a handyman around the house, so it is nice to have this sort of thing taken care of. I am starting to realize that I should probably go ahead and attempt to work out some of this stuff myself, though, because most of it isn't all that complicated. I also realized that some materials aren't all that expensive, either.

My concern about fixing things around the house is always what do I do if things go wrong. If I do something wrong with the plumbing and we can't take a shower for three days or if I somehow damage our electronics when flipping a breaker, I don't know what I'll do. So, rather than take any risks, I just don't do anything.

So I'll probably wait to do anything else around the house until my dad comes in July. I wonder if he wouldn't mind helping with my gutters.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Don't worry you won't mess up the gutters. It's easy, just take the leaves out.

I was replacing a sink in our bathroom when the threads to one of the pipes broke. The water was turned off at that location, so no big deal. At that point, I called in a plumber. They come out real fast - there used to emergency business.

Most of the work around the house is easier than it looks.

shakedust said...

I probably need to clean out the gutters, but that isn't my concern. They are starting to pull away from the house, so I need to resecure them. Should be an easy job, but I am concerned about the implications of shifting the gutter a little and poking more holes in the facia.

f o r r e s t said...

I haven't seen the problem, but I had that problem too, before I hired a gutter company to replace the gutters. Anyway, my gutters were also pulling away from the house and the fix was as simple as taking a hammer and knocking the nails back into the facia. Over the years the nails will loosen and the weight of the gutters will cause that seperation. It's a quick fix and it'll last a while, but eventually you probably need to hammer the nails back in. That's normal and the nature of nails. They should really use screws instead, but nails are probably the quick installation method.

If you move your gutter and poke more holes into your facia...I really don't see a problem in doing that. The holes are not very big. If you were worried you could fill the holes with wood putty or just paint the facia. But usually nail holes are no big deal.

Achtung BB said...

I know what you mean. I just remember a few words from Despair.com :Failure-when your best just isn't good enough