Thursday, June 15, 2006

all i do is work

For the past few days I have been a busier than usual at the office. That's life and this sort of thing happens. Me doing a little extra work is not what this is about really. The real issue is that for some reason I don't seem to be capable of doing the extra work without pointing it out to other people.

For example, if I get off a particularly frustrating phone call that required more effort than I think it should have and someone happens to be walking by, I grab that person and spout off about the phone call or how much work I have to do in general. If someone isn't walking by, I sometimes go walking around looking for someone to bellyache to. The casual observer might conclude that I can't go above and beyond unless someone else knows I am going above and beyond. Pity those whose desks are close to mine.

I have noticed that some other people like to do this as well, but I don't think I have worked with anyone who quite reaches my level. I have reached a point that is almost legendary.

I am not sure why I do this. Is it some deep insecurity that I am subconsciously trying to address? Is it my competitive nature to make a big deal about what I do? Do I just want an excuse to be doing something other than work? My vote is on all of the above.

8 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

You get it from your Mom. Since your love language is acts of service maybe it is hard for you to give acts of service? : )

Jadee said...

Wow....deep insight...perhaps another layer of the onion is being peeled back?

f o r r e s t said...

I am like an onion. I have layers...

If there is no one walking by or near you, you could always write a blog about the issue...oh wait.

T said...

you work?!

T said...

I have no layers. I am a simple one layer cake without icing. Oh wait, that would mean that instead of layers I have lots of ingredients...anyone want to psycho analyze that?!

windarkwingod said...

I think hard work is often unrecognized. Kudos to you for trying to help people understand what you are attempting to achieve in the midst of squalid humanity.

f o r r e s t said...

aren't all the layers of an onion the same???

you just want more credit.

roamingwriter said...

I think I may do something similar. I like people to know what I've done or if it was hard. Is it egoism? I wondered this last week if it was an unrecognized, subconscious need to feel important? If any of that is true, does it mean I have to stop? That would be hard. I somtimes think bosses need help seeing what you actually do too. (Or is that justifying my behavior...I'm so confused.)