Monday, August 22, 2005

snack conversation

I usually ignore the stuff added to the back of cereal boxes. I especially ignore the jokes and games on the back of kids' cereal boxes. Yesterday was an exception, though. The back of the box that Golden and I were snacking from had what was labeled as "fun questions to spark great family discussions." I am not sure I would want to discuss all of them with kids, but here is a sampling of the least cheesy questions and my responses to them.

What if you didn't need to sleep?
That's a super power only college students have. I would get a lot of work done.

If you could change sexes for a day, would you?
I absolutely would, so long as it was only for a short time like a day and it wasn't one of those "we were only kidding about changing you back" scenarios. I want very much to understand what it is to live in a world of emotion. I would probably spend the day watching chick flicks to try to get a better grasp on the appeal of those stories. I would also like to know what it is like to not compartmentalize the things in life and have all experiences intermingle with all other experiences (Did I describe that right?).

What if you had the power to know every time someone told a lie?
This is one of those things that sounds like a blessing, but is actually a curse. Do I really want to know what people think of me? I think I would still like it once I got used to the judgmental types, though. On the plus side, I could have a killer career in sales.

If you could be really smart or really athletic, which would you choose?
While ignorance is bliss, especially if you are the popular athletic type, I couldn't stand being a meathead. I'd pick smarts.

Would it be good if you got everything you wished for?
This is a little deep for the back of a box of cereal. Of course, I shouldn't get everything I wish for. I don't think this means that it is bad for me to get some things I wish for, though. :)

What if everything you wrote came true?
I'd be glad I didn't have a tattoo.

6 comments:

T said...

Those questions were not what I expected.

I can not imagine needing sleep at the moment, so I can't answer that one.

The whole sex change thing...I would do for a day if it was the right time of the month and I was getting the maximum benefit out of it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I would confront people that lie if I had the power to know for sure they were telling a lie, so I guess it's good that I don't have that power!

I'd want to choose athletic, but my brain wouldn't let me--smart it is.

Everything I wished for? Well, probably not, but I agree with dust some things are good!

I've lost track of so much that I have written through the years, but I am sure the universe would be altered and if I am correct, if dashes writings came true I'd be living in a purple house too!? I might be mixing up memories here, but it sounds cool!

f o r r e s t said...

Oh, but you are a meathead!

Don't you love how you can never be smart and athletic. It's automatically assumed if your a smart nerd that your not atheletic and the other way around.

shakedust said...

Forrest, that issue came up today when I was discussing this list of questions with a coworker. I presumed from the way the question was worded that it assumes if you are one you are not the other.

This stereotype can certainly be wrong on occasion.

GoldenSunrise said...

Yeah, I remember guys and girls in high school that played sports and made straight A's. There are a select few that break the stereotype. Those people get all the scholarships too.

roamingwriter said...

Oh to be able to read the cereal box again...
: )

windarkwingod said...

Let's hear it for us stupied and clumsy folks: Yay! Tattoo?! Makes me feel better about meself.