Monday, August 08, 2005

exclusive offer!!! *

I would like to believe that the people watching The History Channel or The Science Channel or The Discovery Channel at midnight are intelligent people. Based on the commercials that I see at that time at night I have my doubts. If I were to go by the bulk of the advertising that fills the airwaves at that time on those channels I would have to assume that the typical viewer is a debt-ridden moron who can't or won't read the fine print at the bottom of the screen.

One advertisement I noticed was for a credit assistance agency that was supposed to help people get rid of credit card debt. The commercial was complete with testimonials about how much the service had helped specific people get out of debt. But wait, right at the start of the first "testimonial" was text in a very small font that read "Dramatization." What's the point of a testimonial if it is fake? I'd say deception.

The next commercial for the site FreeCreditReport.com was no better. They talked about how wonderful it was to be able to see your credit report for free. Then in incredibly small text across the bottom of the screen I saw the exception below (which can also be found at their web site).
"When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple Advantage Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 30 day trial period, you will be billed $12 for each month that you continue your membership."
If you really want to see your credit report for free, look at the official site set up by the three major credit reporting companies.

To be honest, I prefer the stupid Ionic Breeze infomercials that flood The Science Channel (thanks for buying into the allergy stereotype of geeks, guys) over these shyster commercials, even if their testimonials are fake too.

* By reading this site you automatically grant me permission to bill you $24.99 a day for the use of this "service." I also get a stake in any potential business profits you may experience and power of attorney in your personal dealings.

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

There are common sense smarts and intelligent book smarts. It is possible for the nerdy type to have no common sense in terms of finance. Take my father for instance. : )

T said...

I'd like to see the stats on this. I would think that people with a fan personality probably tend to spend more with their fanatical tendencies. Would they not be caught up in the moment and have higher debts usually because of it?

I use the word "fan" to encompass those who watch the tv late at night after getting home from their convention that was a 5 hour flight from their home and their eating the pizza they ordered while at the airport that arrived Just in time (because they pay attention to these things.) They are probably "chatting with a cyborg" online while eating the pizza that was charged to their card, after their flight that was charged to their card, while sitting in their space room in their newly purchased old shatner suit that was charged to their card!

roamingwriter said...

I guess if I've been watching info mercials or bad finance gimmicks lately, I just didn't know it. The foreign language and all. I did see a commercial that was for cream that makes celulite go away. I didn't call though.

windarkwingod said...

Personally, I like the all the exercixe gadgets that let you do push-ups or sit-ups without really having to do them. They are usually made of some type of aluminum frame and stretchy rubber straps. Some guy with a six-pack and a ponytail sells them. I carry mine with me - I call it "my back"