Thursday, August 11, 2005

otb©®™ (patent pending)

I always kind of imagined that I might write some song or story or something original of that nature. I always figured the proof that I had created something would be some official copyright that signified that I had privileges to reproduce that creation. I would then come to and realize that I would probably never go through the hassle of filing a request for a copyright.

A few days ago I came across this site on common myths about what is and isn't a copyrighted material and was a little surprised to find that any original thoughts typed on a blog site are technically considered to be copyrighted. Doesn't seem like such a big deal, but I am happy that I have in some official form the copyrights to ideas like the RIPO post or my letter k post.

I guess it means little if no one ever wants to pay for the copyright rights, but it's nice to feel like a few of my ideas are now mine in some legal sense.

4 comments:

T said...

Cool. I like the idea of being copyrighted. I think I read something about that when signing up, or maybe it was just about the publishing part of it?

shakedust said...

I believe that is what the site essentially stated, so long as they are comments from original ideas.

roamingwriter said...

When you write something it is automatically copyright protected. You are the creater and owner. If you want an official piece of paper that would stand up in court, you file with the office in DC for $30 or so. You can file up to three novels or something like for one fee. It is not necessary to register to say something is copyrighted - that is a big myth. There is also a "poor mans copyright" that is mailing something of your own writing to yourself and not opening the envelope - then it has an independent date affixed. I've never bothered with any of my things. It is so nice to know that it's yours though, and no one can take it away, unless they pay you money.

Anonymous said...

I've started a blogsite using Dust's posts and Forrests pictures. Does this mean I will have to use Dash's credit info when your agents sue me?