Wednesday, August 17, 2005

peeled from the bone

A couple of days ago a conversation in my office revolved around some elements of a strong man competition. There was talk of the bus pull and the stone carry and other things that sounded equally as uncomfortable, then the discussion went in a much more uncomfortable direction that these conversations always seem to go. One of the guys mentioned a time when he saw someone's pectoral muscle tear during a workout.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that when guys discuss strong man, weight lifting, or body building competitions at some point someone is going to mention a worst-case-scenario story of a horrifically torn a muscle, dislocated joint, or really nasty hangnail.

This could be because deep down normal guys get some pleasure out of inordinately strong or toned guys suffering some tragedy. It could be that this is just an example of the male interest in more disgusting topics such as horrible injuries. It could just be a figment of my imagination. I don't know why it is, but I do know that the conversations I have noticed always tend to go that direction.

I can't complain, though. It gives me a reason not to exercise.

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Every time I hear a story about weight lifting, I remember a skit I saw on SNL. Phil Hartman was a body builder at the Olympics (i think) and when he lifts the barbell his arm breaks off and blood squirts everywhere. They portrayed it as funny.

f o r r e s t said...

No, I don't think it is a jealousy issue - Does any guy really want to look like Hulk Hogan.?! I think it is the latter of what you said - that guys like to talk about gross stuff.

I can't handle those conversations; they turn my stomach queesy and I better not see an image...but there is this strange curiousity...

Anyway, dust you better start working out.

BTW, your title made me a little nervous to what I was about to read.

shakedust said...

The title comes from another conversation that continually came up in my office last year. Mike Anderson (a running back for the Broncos) tore his groin muscle from the bone in the preseason. Those of us who weren't completely disgusted by the event would continually mention how his muscle was literally peeled from the bone and watch everyone else cringe.

Anonymous said...

Can I use some of your posts in my blog on my website?

shakedust said...

Can I know which website it is? :)

shakedust said...

Wow, trying to get clear on what is spam and what isn't is more difficult than I suspected.

Given the fact that I am 99% sure the last two posts are spam I am erasing them.

windarkwingod said...

I aspire to crack walnuts with my buttocks. I will feel not so vulnerable, but..... plan on becoming an artist if it does not work: (_o_)

BOONO