Monday, August 29, 2005

katrina

I can't think of anything to post now except that my thoughts and prayers are with those who are in Katrina's path. When I first heard the news that New Orleans was in Katrina's path, I was peeled to online news sites for about two hours, then TV news channels the rest of the night. This is on the same level as 9/11 to me given that there will be more destruction, there is the possibility of a greater loss of life, and people had a day's warning to get out.

After talking about how unpredictable the weather is in Kansas I checked the forcast and we should have sunny weather for the rest of the week, which is a far cry from the destruction that Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, et al are facing. No matter what situation you are in there always seems to be someone who is worse off. Please keep those who are worse off in your prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea about this "Katrina" until this morning when I got in my car to drive to work and heard it on the radio. I don't watch any news on TV. Rarely.

Dash said...

I can only imagine the flooding they must be having ...

GoldenSunrise said...

This morning on tv, Fox News showed their reporter Steve out in the weather in Gulfport, Miss. He was holding on to a cable and wearing goggles. The wind was strong and the rain was heavy. He yelled, "A piece of roof just landed 3 feet away from me. I am going inside now but will be back in an hour." This guy is extremely brave or stupid. He must get paid the big bucks.

roamingwriter said...

I've wondered about all the reporters telling people to stay away as they stand on the piers and the anchor saying "be careful". Didn't the network send them there on purpose, knowing it was happening?! Anyway...

On a personal note, our new friends here have a house and two college age kids in New Orleans so this has been a big deal for all of us. The kids evacuated with other family but a 3 hour trip took 9 hours. They slept in an office building on a floor and got up to get the rest of the way into Texas. Now, the concern is for their house.

T said...

I heard about it yesterday and like you dust, am concerned for all in her path. I agree, no matter how bad one thinks things are there is always someone or others to pray for that have it far worse.