Thursday, August 04, 2005

do you smell something?

I have one sense that far surpasses the others in strength. It is not eyesight. I am one of those people who doesn't need glasses, but I am not too far away from needing them. It is not hearing. My ability to distinguish softer noises is already going. My strongest sense is smell.

What is more worthless than a strong sense of smell? It means that I get the joy of getting way too big of whiffs of peoples' cologne when they drench themselves in it. It means that I can tell when someone else hasn't showered for three days. It means that I know when the cat just did her thing in the litterbox.

Golden does not have a very strong sense of smell. Because of this, there have been many conversations like the following in our house.

Me: What's that smell?

Golden: What smell?

Me: What do you mean what smell? That putrid, rancid smell that resembles death.

Golden: I don't smell anything. Nothing smells.

Me: How can you not smell that? Is it the garbage? Wow! That's bad, but that's not it.

Golden: I think you are making this up.

Me: It's not the cat's food dish either. Wait, it's coming from the sink. Let me go ahead and run the garbage disposal.

(Whirrrrr.....)

Then, an hour later

(.....rrrrr)

Me: That's better.

Golden: That was a figment of your imagination.

6 comments:

roamingwriter said...

If running the garbage disposal makes you feel better.... I guess go ahead. Did you know dogs can smell 1 millionth part urine in water? And they like to smell all kinds of nasty stuff. Yikes.

f o r r e s t said...

I have a theory (really don't know if it is a theory)but I believe good smells travel well in the Autumn crisp air. Like apple pie, yummy restaurants, burning leaves, and bbq!

windarkwingod said...

Everyone has their own personal scent. Usually you cannot recognize your own, but you can detect other peoples. For example, when all you people were dating, did you take a jacket or item of clothing from your chica and sleep with it and smell it? (uh - not that I would do that!) Scientists say that you can smell your own concentrated scent by putting your nose in the crook of your arm on the inside of your elbow where the soft skin is. I'm not making this up.

GoldenSunrise said...

When you wake up in the morning, you have a smell. I think you can have an idea of what your smell is by smelling yourself in the morning.

I know I don't have a sense of smell. I think it is because I have a deviated septum and sinus problems.

Sometimes I think Dust imagines smells. Sometimes it is the garbage, sink, or cat box.

shakedust said...

If golden can smell me in the morning, I must smell pretty strong.

Anonymous said...

meeza think yooza smelly after wakey uppy lika dee cat poo and dee garbage sink mouth!