Wednesday, August 03, 2005

footprints in the sand

I have always been a little more fragile than the average guy. I always got cold or hot a little quicker than most, always cringed just a little more before getting hit on the football field, I always got winded quicker than everyone else, and I picked up plenty of scars growing up from doing what boys do. Even so, I never backed down from sports when I had the opportunity because I love competition to the point of being willing to play through the pain.

Last Sunday evening our church had a sand volleyball night scheduled for our young adults. Since this is one of my better sports (meaning I am not horrible at it), I went for a full evening of games. Golden, bless her heart, patiently sat through it all, too.

When I first got on the sand I realized that the day had been plenty warm. Everyone was complaining about the heat of the sand, but it seemed hotter to me than anyone else was even implying. I was on the sand for a while because we were playing winner stays on the court, and my team kept winning. I also tended to be on the hot side of the court longer than the cooler side. I think that contributed.

For most of the night after the first two games or so, I felt like either my feet were on fire or I was experiencing half of the Stigmata. I figured I had blisters, but the depth of the issue was not apparent until I got home that night. I have been hobbling around for the last couple of days while I heal. I think I'll just keep score in tonight's game.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Dust is a force to be reckoned with out their on the court.

You are too competitive to back down from tonights game. Maybe we should hose down the sand before we play.

Both vernal and I also felt the affects from the sand on Sunday night. We both had sore feet. I don't think it was the heat of the sand, rather it was the coarseness of it. My feet are soft and tender, because I rarley walk around barefoot. In otherwords, I have wussy feet. But if I keep playing in the sand, I might toughen them up.

Welcome to the world of pictures. (and way to gross us out with the first one.) :)

T said...

ouch! I think I'd be keeping score too! Hope you feel better soon.

windarkwingod said...

wow-hamburguesa! As one fragile guy to another: Cool!

Dash said...

Do your stigmata scars line up with one another?

If so, it might be an indcation that only one nail was used to nail both feet together, rather than 2. This question has plauged scholars for centuries ....