Wednesday, August 24, 2005

golden's house of horrors

I appreciate how well Golden organizes the house. I really do. Even though she works outside the house she manages to keep the place relatively clean without too much help from her hubby (oops). I am actually going to look like something of a heel for posting this because she does do so much, but I did get permission.

There is one thing that concerns me about her cleaning habits. Rather than do things in a way that would save time and frustration over the long run, she tends to do things that are the quickest in the short term. This can lead to precarious situations.

One example of this is the way that things get stacked in the cabinets. There isn't really much planning involved. It is really more an issue of throwing things in the cabinet and closing the door before anything can fall out. I used to get startled if I heard Golden open a cabinet door and shout as something crashed to the kitchen counter (or onto her). It has happened so much, though, that now it doesn't phase me.

Another example occurred a few weeks ago. There are some glasses stacked on our refrigerator in front of a few kitchen items that are also stored above the fridge. Golden went to grab a lunch box from behind the glasses. She could have moved the glasses ahead of time, but instead she skipped this step and simply dragged the item real slowly across the top of the fridge along with about three glasses. I stopped the inevitable crash just a few moments before it would have happened.

Yet another example is that there is a disregard for extremely hot items in the kitchen. We currently have a burner on the stove that needs replaced because a plastic wrapper was left too close to it when it was on. Golden has also burned herself on a few occasions. The last time was a rather serious burn on her arm due to an incident where she compensated for an underpadded oven mitt by laying part of the scorching hot cooking stone that she was pulling out of the oven on her arm.

As final example is that items like screwdrivers, books, footballs, shoes, and the like tend to get left in the living room where people can trip over them and they detract from the decor. It is real annoying because there is a place for those things and it isn't the living room. Oh wait, that is what I do. I guess we both have our issues to work through.

9 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I should have a sign in the kitchen that reads "Enter at your own risk."

My laziness trumps any good organizational plans depending on my mood. I inherited the lazy gene from my dad. My mom isn't much better.

T said...

I have the "get it done quick" syndrome. Dash often says "what about" and just gets a look. I'm not as bad as I use to be (I like to think.) But our bedroom is still the worse place to be in the house any given day of the week, neither one of us like to pick up clothes or put them away once they are clean! We do MUCH better then when we were first married, but that's only because of guilt. If the kids have to keep their rooms clean then....we should try to also!

Dash said...

Was it a Dukes of Hazard lunch box? If so, smashing a few glasses is just part of it. Why ruin the moment?

As for the title of you post, I've always had a bit of a giggle with the word Horrors because I got it confused with the word "whores". Since I wasn't allowed to watch either kind of movie, the distinction came a bit later in my childhood.

I remember being very confused when my parents announced that we were going to the local theatre to see "Little Shop Of 'Whores'". although I was interested, I couldn't see how Rick Moranis could get cast in that sort of film ... and hadn't Steve Martin moved on to bigger things after SNL?

It turned out to be a musical about a flower shop, a sadistic dentist, an axe murderer, and a mean green momma from outer space.

Oh' Audrey ... Oh' Seymour

roamingwriter said...

We all have something that we could do better, and something we think we do better! Such is life.

T said...

too true roamin'!

f o r r e s t said...

...what are you gonna do with toys?

shakedust said...

Spam removed.

windarkwingod said...

The sandman visits us at night and Roamer has to tiptoe her cute little piggies all the way across the house because it scritches. I, on the other hand, have no compunction whatsoever at blowing my magic golden nosegoblins all across the shower. Roamer don't like the boogerman either.

roamingwriter said...

No boogie and sandy can stay outside as far as I'm concerned.