Thursday, November 29, 2007

plato and a platypus

I have long wondered why books, lectures, and the such designed for serious learning rarely do a good job of making the learning entertaining. It is a lot easier to understand a new concept when it is presented in an enjoyable fashion. This is part of the idea of the last book that I completed, Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes.

The book itself is only meant to give a high-level summary of historical philosophical beliefs and thought structures. So, while it is not nearly detailed enough to be a textbook, it presents a lot of concepts very concisely. The jokes are generally used to illustrate concepts or perspectives.

The following joke is used to illustrate the concept of ding an sich, which means "thing in itself," and is supposed to describe an object as it is rather than how our senses perceive it.
Secretary: "Doctor, there's an invisible man in the waiting room."
Doctor: "Tell him I can't see him."
Another joke illustrates relativity of time.
A snail was mugged by two turtles. When the police asked him what happened, he said, "I don't know. It all happened so fast."
A final joke provides a rationale for why it is important to understand the purpose of law.
A judge calls the opposing lawyers into his chambers, and says, "The reason we're here is that both of you have given me a bribe." Both lawyers squirm in their seats. "You, Alan, have given me $15,000. Phil, you gave me $10,000."

The judge hands Alan a check for $5,000 and says, "Now you're even, and I'm going to decide this case solely on its merits."
The only reason that I would hold back in recommending this book to anyone with a sense of humor is that it does contain some blue humor, though I do not think it is excessive. Other than that one thing, this book is perfect for anyone wanting to read up on serious philosophical ideas with a punchline.

6 comments:

Portland wawa said...

Is there a joke about Plato and the platypus?? BB may like this book.

f o r r e s t said...

word!

Achtung BB said...

Hmmmm....I might check that out. Humor is the spice of life. Did you ever read "the Simpsons and philosophy?" It's along those lines.

GoldenSunrise said...

I enjoyed the jokes that you shared with me.

shakedust said...

I need to read the Simpsons philosophy book.

roamingwriter said...

I took philosophy in college and I got a good grade but all I remember was sort of playing head games in papers and not really learning (or at least remembering) any of the actual theories.Maybe I should check this out.