Monday, November 26, 2007

risky business

I am not going to post about our entire Thanksgiving break because most of what I would have to say would be unfortunately boring. Golden may say something about our vacation on her blog, though.

On Thursday we did visit both Golden's and my family. While we were at my aunt's house a few of them got into a discussion of the things my dad did when he was younger. No one really wanted to tell stories about themselves. Most people would not assume this if they met him today, but he was actually the most reckless of all his siblings growing up.

I realized recently that, at least in this respect, I am the antithesis of my dad. The things that I have done in my life that I consider reckless weren't really reckless. I have always been the voice of caution when there is discussion of doing anything that is even just potentially dangerous.

While I am not currently and have never been a risk taker in a cautious person's body, when I hear these stories I wonder if I should have been a little more daring as a kid. Did I hold back more than was necessary? I think most men want to have some things in common with their dads, and to be as different as we are in this area is a bit weird.

Based on my observations of NJ, I could see him as being very cautious or very risky when he gets older. As a sixteen-month-old He can be fearless and he can be timid depending on his mood. Whichever he is, I hope I can relate.

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

You should mention that your Dad did stuff like: throwing lit matches into the attic, and a prank that caused a go-cart steering wheel impression into a boy's chest.

shakedust said...

My telling of the stories don't do them justice.

T said...

I appreciate my similarities to my mom (few that there are) now more then I ever did as a kid! If you knew your dad as a cautious man, it sounds like you grew up to emmulate the man you knew, not the boy he was--which was probably his wish as a dad! :)

Portland wawa said...

If Woogy grows up to be a little reckless like his daddy, I would be surprised. He is afraid of everything. Nibbles is usually fearless, although she is getting a little more timid these days.