Wednesday, November 14, 2007

no gossip allowed

Most people know what it is like to deal with gossips. Whether at work, church, or anywhere else, they can be beyond annoying.

Now for my about-face. I would assume that other people have gossiped about me at some point, but it has not directly impacted me in any way of which I am aware. I cannot think of many instances when I found out that people were talking about me, and I cannot think of any instances when I cared. Maybe I am too boring to be the subject of an inventive story. That is probably a blessing, since gossips can ruin other people's reputations, livelihoods, and friendships.

I recently read that at least one company has a no gossipping rule that can result in termination. In another example, four people in New Hampshire were fired from a city government office for gossipping about two people they errantly thought were having an affair. In theory, I think banning gossip is a great idea. Even ignoring the ethical issues involved, gossip damages morale and distracts workers. I can't imagine how implementing such a rule is practical, though.

More businesses should probably have gossip policies, but how would such a policy appropriately define gossip? Is any talk about others behind their backs, even if it appears benign, gossip? How bad does a juicy piece of information need to be before it triggers the policy? Should there be stricter rules in place for some workplaces (like churches) than others (like gossip magazine offices)? Is it actually possible to regulate gossip?

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

You raise some good questions. It is hard to not complain with other co-workers about a bad boss/manager.

T said...

I don't know that it's possible to regulate gossip, but maybe if there was a rule about it more people would speak up when they object to what they hear instead of excusing it away?

Achtung BB said...

Everyone here has a good point. Gossiping is hard to regulate. At the same time it is everywhere and it does bring people down. I make an effort to walk away from it if the gossiping is getting too juicy. I'd rather not get involved.

Jessie Upp, M.S., R.C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessie Upp, M.S., R.C. said...

It is possible. It simply requires group training before implementation.

I have an example "No Gossip Policy" that is part of a broader compliance code. It's powerful and measurable, yet it requires basic training before implementation. I would be happy to share it with you. Please contact me directly.

Jessie Upp, Training Director
www.HealthShareClinic.com
jupp@healthshareclinic.com
206.841.9917