Thursday, February 01, 2007

a prayer

Now I wake me up from sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
And if I die while in my bed
I pray the Lord to rest the dead

Now I step me to the sink
I wash up so as not to stink
And if I die before I dry
Just towel me off where I lie

Now I get me dressed for work
I wear it all pants and shirt
And if I die while half dressed
Leave me there so I can rest

Now I get me out the door
My body pimples every pore
And if I die from the cold
Just stand me up and behold

Now I get me to my car
It's not been scraped yet thus far
And if I die before I'm done
Lie me down beneath the sun

Now I get me through the day
To somehow make it through the fray
And if I die before the dusk
Deal with me without a fuss

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
And if I die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

9 comments:

T said...

Yeah, my cars never scraped either! :)

That was the point of your poem--right?! :)

shakedust said...

More or less. The point I had in mind was that I particularly dislike the morning routine in winter, so that's certainly a major part of it.

Achtung BB said...

I love it. Must be pretty cold in KC

f o r r e s t said...

Brian, don't encourage this behavior. That was a painful excercise in rhyming.

GoldenSunrise said...

Nobody would have guessed that you have trouble getting up in the morning. : )

Doc said...

You think it is cold in KC? It won't be above zero all day this Saturday and Sunday here! By the end of next week it is supposed to finally warm up to a balmy 17 degrees (for a high temp.) My garage is making a lot of sense right about now.

Anonymous said...

I see you were late to work today.

Unknown said...

"I particularly dislike the morning routine in winter"

HA! You dislike ALL morning routines. In fact, I wonder how you can remember yesterday morning.

shakedust said...

I tend to stay later to compensate, but yeah.