Wednesday, February 14, 2007

valentine thoughts

I made a mistake this year. I neglected to check ahead of time whether any of my classes met on Valentine's Day. So, Golden and I are not seeing each other much today.

Valentine's Day brings out the best and worst in me. I like the motivation to let Golden know I love her (by the way, Golden, I love you), but I hate the marketing and general tone of the holiday. A recent Vermont Teddy Bear commercial says it all.

A woman in an office gets a Vermont Teddy Bear and all the other woman gather around and trash the men who didn't send them a bear. As this is going on, the men in the office frantically head to their desks theoretically to order bears for their significant others. The obvious point to the men watching the commercial is that you don't want to be one of the guys that is being trashed. The commercial is not about showing your love, because you can do that without spending much money. The purpose of the commercial is to convince men that they will be viewed as insensitive clods if they don't spend money on the bear.

I've already said too much. I love Golden. She loves me. That's all that matters.

6 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I'm sorry. What is Valentine's day?

Achtung BB said...

That's sweet. I'm annoyed with that commerical too. We don't need another teddy bear in the house

GoldenSunrise said...

Thanks! Happy Valentine's Day! I love you.

gigi said...

whatever forest... I heard about the heart shaped krispy kream donuts for your sweetheart... awwww.

Anonymous said...

Hi. You have a cool site...I am new on here, and have no idea what I'm doing...so I'm just saying hi!
-Melissa-

roamingwriter said...

Yes, V-day is over commercialized. Try as I might to not want anything or participate, well, I still love to get a rose or a chocolate. I got a chocolate bar and a rose this year, so big time points for Dar.