Wednesday, February 21, 2007

guilty pleasures

Most people who read this blog know that one of my guilty pleasures is stupid sci-fi movies. I am sometimes a little embarrassed about what this says about me.

I was flipping through the channels last night when something occurred to me about the names and descriptions of movies on specific channels. I would bet that a reasonably accurate psychological analysis could be performed on anyone who was really drawn in to some of these movies.

The movie names and descriptions that I get the most entertainment out of are the LMN (Lifetime Movie Network) movies due to their extremely narrow focus. The following are examples of some that are showing this week.
  • Lies He Told - A man fakes his death to marry another woman.
  • Shattered Dreams: The Sheri Karney Story - A lawyer fights for incest victims after revealing that she was abused as a child.
  • Shattered Dreams - (Yes, there are two movies by the same name showing on the same channel on the same day.) The story of the battered wife of an SEC official.
  • Fatal Vows: The Alexandra O'Hara Story - A banker marries an undercover police officer whom she discovers to be a serial killer.
  • A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story - A woman crusades for justice after four men kill her son who lived as a woman.

Apparently, the world is full of abusive men who want to take it out on their wives, or kids, or drag queens. No evil compares to that of an abusive man. I suspect that these movies are designed for women who have had bad relationships with men in the past. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with liking the movies. I'm just making an educated guess about why these movies would be appealing.

I can't stop here, though. If I'm going to be honest with myself, I need to point out the common thread on Sci-Fi Channel movies as well. The following are movies that are playing on Sci-Fi at some time this week.

  • The Fallen One - An archaeologist must halt a fallen angel's plan to father a race of giant warriors and take over humanity.
  • Dead & Breakfast - Survivors of a zombie massacre barricade themselves into a bed and breakfast.
  • Deathlands: Homeward Bound - Humans struggle to survive in a world ravaged by war and radiation.
  • King Cobra - A doctor becomes a thirty foot hybrid of a man, cobra, and rattlesnake when his lab explodes.
  • Project Viper - A space creature that is spliced together with human genes and computer chips runs rampant on Earth.

There are a lot of threats to humanity's very existence here. Most (okay, all) of the premises are hokey. Some of the above movies actually sound appealing to me, though. I'm not 100% sure what this says about me, but I'm sure it's no better than my assessment about LMN movies.

3 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Actually, the sci-fi titles seem less ridiculous than the lifetime movies. Titles are hard and meant to be cheesy.

I, too, have a soft spot for bad sci-fi.

Achtung BB said...

I love the titles of the lifetime movies. You could easily conclude that men are deceitful when they get married and could care less about their kids.

GoldenSunrise said...

All it says about you is that you like sci-fi. Plain and simple.