Monday, February 12, 2007

sanctuary clock battery dies

Sanctuary Clock Battery Dies; Pastor Speaks for 17 Hours

DULUTH, MINNESOTA, February 12, 2007 (OTB) -- Members of Duluth Community Church got more than they bargained for from the Sunday morning sermon last week--about sixteen hours more. Pastor Morty Glover exceeded all personal records last week when he preached a Sunday morning sermon for seventeen hours, a move which he insists was unintentional.

"My sermon started at 10:45 as usual and at 11:30 it was as if time stood still," Glover explained. "I figured this was God holding back time for me like He did for the Israelites in Joshua 10. I thought there was someone in the congregation that needed to hear what I--I mean God--had to say to him. I didn't realize that the battery in the sanctuary clock had died."

Most of the congregation has watches and tried to signal to Pastor Glover that he was going long, but he was convinced that it was Satan working through them to keep him from completing his sermon comparing different lineages in the Bible. Eventually, people started walking out.

A few people stayed to the end of the sermon, but even several of those only did so because they fell asleep. "I usually nod off about fifteen minutes into the sermon and my sleep is interrupted when the pastor concludes the service with a loud prayer," said parishioner George Smith, "but when I woke this time the Pastor was thanking those who had stayed to hear what the Lord had to say. It is the most rested I've been in years."

Glover is still convinced that the battery dying was an act of God, but several members of the congregation aren't so sure. They have created a rotation to change the clock batteries every week. This group is managed by church board member Carl Jefferson. "If God wants Pastor Glover to speak that long again," intoned Jefferson, "He is going to have to find some other way to make it happen."

10 comments:

shakedust said...

This is one I wrote several years back and I just found it again this weekend. I figured it would be worth a post.

roamingwriter said...

From the heading, I thought there was a funny story from OP coming. Original! Glad I wasn't in that service - or speaking in it.

Achtung BB said...

Was this out of Lark?

shakedust said...

Actually, the original intent was to submit it to Lark. It got rejected, though.

f o r r e s t said...

Are you serious? Did it really get rejected? Do they take submissions?

shakedust said...

Yes. Yes. They claim to.

Any more questions? :)

f o r r e s t said...

What more do they want?

shakedust said...

If I knew, I'd probably already have one accepted. :)

If I remember correctly, the reasoning was that this was a little too real. There was probably something more, but I lost the email when my hard drive crashed a year and a half ago.

Unknown said...

That was awesome! If the Lark doesn't want it, it would work great on churchchallenge. Which reminds me...when's that gonna happen again? :)

shakedust said...

You'll have to check with "Faithful" about that. That's his baby. :)