Thursday, February 15, 2007

h2o

All pictures are from Wikimedia Commons. For copyright information, click on the individual image.

I don't think there is anything more soothing than water. The very sound of a soft fountain or the steady beat of waves on a shore can work the stress right out of me. The very feel of a long and hot shower has more appeal to me than almost anything else. Few commercials affect me more than those Corona commercials with the people sitting on the beach (and I don't even drink beer).

At first blush it doesn't make sense that I would get much out of water. I am not the type of person to do stuff like go to a spa and my sense of aesthetics is rather masculine. I think there are a few good reasons that water is relaxing to me, though.

First, I am more easily stressed than the typical person. This means that any relaxing effect that anything is going to have on the average person will only be magnified on me. When I watch and listen to a fountain there is a good chance that I have some tension for the sight and sound of it to relieve.

Second, water sounds distract me from my tinnitus. If I am listening to running water, I am not paying attention to the ringing in my ears. This point cannot be stressed enough. I hate absolute silence because that makes the ringing seem more intense, but the white noise of a stream, a shoreline, or even a shower provides a nice break from the high-pitched whine in my head.

Third, for some reason I think clear water is about the coolest stuff to look at in the world. I'd like some time to go to one of those places where there is an ocean shoreline of shallow, clear, and warm water. If we can afford it someday, I think it would be worth the expense.

There are probably many other reasons that I like to experience water that I can't think of at the moment. It would make sense that I chose to live in Kansas, wouldn't it?

9 comments:

T said...

I like water. The ocean's very relaxing! I like the smell of it too!

Achtung BB said...

You would like Oregon. We get wet everyday. We got a whole lot of water!

Unknown said...

Yeah, why are you so attached to Kansas? I second the motion for Oregon or Washington. You can be relatively close to the shore (hour or two drive) and still have sunny skies all day every day if that's what you're into.

RDW said...

One good reason to be in the Kansas City vicinity of Kansas is all the fountains. You probably know by now that KC has more working fountains than any other city in the world.

So there you go.

Unknown said...

And to top it all off, nothing is as tasty as some yummy water!

...wait a minute, nevermind.

gigi said...

Water is perfect! I love water. It comforts me more than I can explain...

Love this post!

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, I too find the sound of water to be relaxing and I'm not even high strung! Sitting next to a KC fountain is a great place to people watch.

I also like the noise of street and pedestrian traffic.

GoldenSunrise said...

We definitely need to buy one of those small fountains for inside the house!

roamingwriter said...

More fountains that look like Spain in KC than I've seen fountains here interestingly enough. I like fountains but never occurred to me to think affectionately of water in general. I like that it is good for me and calorie free.

On a side note, a friend here had tinnitus and he's a sound guy so very serious issue. He quit drinking caffeine (can I hear a collective gasp from the audience?) and it cut out 99% of the ringing (after a few weeks) and to him it's worth it.