Monday, July 17, 2006

standoff

A few months ago I was shipped video of a show called Primary to review for a survey. At least it was called Primary at the time. I gave a generally positive review, though I decided that I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see the show. Perhaps you remember my writeup.

For the last few weeks I have been seeing commercials for a show that looks a lot like what I saw, but it is called Standoff instead. When Golden saw that she got a little excited and decided that she would have to watch it (even though it is on Fox :)... ).

There are two things that stuck out to me about the commercials. First, the new name is much better than the original. Second, all the scenes in the commercial are from the one episode that I saw.

I hadn't thought through the fact that maybe this was the only episode that had been created. I guess I figured with the expense that would have gone into making that first episode, maybe they would have at least started the process on further episodes. I think it's amazing that the entire fortunes of a show--whether it will ever see the light of day--are tied up in the quality of one pilot episode. I wonder how many potentially good shows have been canned due to a lousy pilot. I'm glad my job doesn't rely on something like that.

3 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

It looks like a show that I would be interested in. I like the main character from Office Space that's in it. Rob Livingston?

f o r r e s t said...

So are you gonna watch it?

roamingwriter said...

Yes, the idea of all that sweat and energy into scripting and filming, and then it tanking - scary. I'm starting on an idea at work that I am trepidatious at the idea of it getting canned despite all my work. Marching forward as onto war....