Monday, July 24, 2006

blurkers

A blurker is a blog lurker. Basically, it is someone who reads a blog but leaves no evidence that he or she has been there.

Sometimes when I post I think of myself as having an audience equivalent to the number of people who will comment on that specific post, which tends to be between three and six people. I sometimes forget that other people read this site on occasion as well. I was discussing this with my sister, who sometimes comments on this site, and she was pointing out that she tends to lurk rather than post on the site.

I think I have a few actual blurkers on this site who don't ever post, but I don't really know how many. I am actually curious as to whether my pastor read this every once in a while because I haven't been asked to pray in church after this post. (I don't really mind. It was just humorous because I am not spectacular at public prayer.) It makes me wonder what sort of things I should attempt to post, though.

I have always had the philosophy that I should write with my audience in mind. If I don't know who my audience is, how can I consider them? So, I am not trying to force anyone out of the darkness, but don't be afraid to comment if you want to. If you don't have anything relevant to say, that makes at least two of us.

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I confess..it's me. I lurk at your stories sometime and don't say anything. : )

f o r r e s t said...

I've heard that term before.

At my old office, I discovered the world of blogs because our receptionist when not answering phones was addicted to reading other peoples blogs. She was a blurker.

I found out my dad is reading mine. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

T said...

I'm a blurker, he's a blurker, she's a blurker, wouldn't you like to be a blurker too...

shakedust said...

I guess I'm a blurker at the Elevate site.

f o r r e s t said...

I'll post something new tonight at the elevate site.

Anonymous said...

Anytime I have a cameo appearance in your blogs, I do try to post something.

I am a faithful reader of your blog and Golden's blog. Sometimes it just takes too much thought to write a response!

I could start doing an "I was here!" post. That'd be kind of fun... like blog graffiti!

roamingwriter said...

I hadn't thought beyond our circle of friends reading it initially. Though once I heard Dars folks were blurkers on ours, it made me start thinking twice before I type. i still can't imagine anyone beside our friends bother looking at mine.