Wednesday, July 12, 2006

scheduling conflicts

Golden and I have learned a lot about taking care of a newborn in the last ten days. We can change his diaper without a second thought, we can distinguish what some of his cries mean, and we can even usually come up with ways to stop him from crying if we need to. What we haven't successfully done, though, is get NJ on a schedule that doesn't rob me of significant sleep.

NJ goes through what I think of as waves of sleep. He will sleep for a few hours, then he will be awake for about two hours. If the awake time starts between midnight and 2AM, then this messes with my sleep because this is when I am responsible to take care of the baby. After I go to sleep NJ is not capable of waking me, so Golden has been taking care of any issues after that point.

I know that we should be manipulating his awake time in the evening, but that can backfire. On Monday evening NJ was awake for most of the evening, then slept until 1AM and was up until after 3AM. If that is what happens when I manipulate his schedule, I don't know that I will really be helping things by stepping in.

Two nights ago, NJ robbed me of a lot of sleep. Last night NJ kept Golden awake most of the night. I hear that this phase of childhood is rather short, so I think we can tough our way through it. Otherwise, we might be investing in Children's Tylenol PM shortly.

3 comments:

Dash said...

10 days and he's already talking about bringing in the good stuff. I was never happy that my kids had a cold .... but if they did, I belived in making sure they were medicated.

... of course some of the stuff that you think would make them sleepy sends them into orbit.

Sick - Hyper is very very bad

T said...

Yeah, Ibuprofen in liquid form did that to cman. It also gave him the --well, he didn't need a bouncy seat, let's put it that way! :)--

GoldenSunrise said...

We have used the "gas relief" drops that were in the survivial kit Dash and T gave us. It seems like they do the trick.