Thursday, July 27, 2006

twenty-seven

Age: It's what separates the men from the boys.

Today is my 27th birthday. Given that it is also July 27th, this is officially the only day in my life that I turn the same age as my birth date. It's all downhill from here.

As I have gotten older I have observed several things about personalities at different ages. One of the things that has stuck out the most to me is that people really don't change as they get older. Let me explain what I mean.

Generally speaking, if you surround yourself with people who have a certain type of personality when you are in high school, you'll do the same after you graduate. If you let someone else determine your tastes in music, fashion, or anything else, you will probably continue letting others influence you. If you are in a popular or unpopular crowd at school age, you will probably stick with a similar type of crowd as an adult.

I used to think that adults were more or less impervious to peer pressure. That was before I had fully thought through the situation. I thought that since senior citizens aren't generally up on the latest trends that they must not care what others think. I found out this was wrong when I made the obvious observation that they were not being influenced by what was cool right now, but rather what the people they hung out with considered normal or cool. Sure, pulling your pants up to your armpits may not be the in look right now, but if all of a seventy-year-old man's closest friends wear clothes like that, he'll fit in to do that too.

Bringing this a bit closer to home, at twenty-seven I don't feel any less susceptible to peer pressure today than I did ten years ago. It's just that now most of my peers are in their thirties with kids.

So, the next time I am tempted to think about how easily manipulated teenagers are to what happens to be hot right now, I will try to remember that I'm probably not any different. Maybe I should work on that this year.

11 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I totally disagree with all of this...especially the old people. (I just spent time with my 84 year old grandparents.)

It must be a personal issue - dependent on each individual...whether they are secure or insecure.

Happy Birthday on your Golden Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

(sorry, again, that I woke you up)

I've often thought that is is going to be really funny in 40 to 50 years seeing elderly men with wide leg skater jeans or gauged ears or any other manner of thing that is popular now. Maybe "funny" is the wrong word choice...

T said...

Happy Birthday Dust! :)

f o r r e s t said...

Miss Carisma makes a good point about the old men in skater jeans.

It used to be and probably still is the case for many people that the fashion that was popular in their senior year of high school is the fashion style that they take with them throughout the rest of life.

Case in point: many of the women in their mid to late 30's still wear the puffy bangs look. Or if your lucky enough to catch BB at the gym he is probably sporting some sweat pants pushed up at the knee.

But all that has changed recently. In the last 5 or so years, TV shows based on makeovers has become popular. This has given many people the courage and the fashion sense to update their look. Thank you, Oprah!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,

The Blurker

Anonymous said...

Forrest, thanks for your comments! I think that makeover shows has increase the fashion-consciousness of the culture as a whole to a certain degree... but in the end I don't think it's going to be enough to rescue our generation from fading into being horribly old-fashioned some day.

I think it's something to be looked forward to, actually! How cool will it be to be able to where outlandish clothes and call everyone you meet "dearie" and get away with it???

shakedust said...

Thanks for the congrats!

Forrest, I just have one thing to point out.

"It must be a personal issue - dependent on each individual...whether they are secure or insecure."

Isn't that what I was saying? The insecure people will continue to be insecure and the secure people will continue to be secure. People who are influenced by their clique of friends will continue to look, talk, act, and generally be like those other friends.

This has already been hashed out to some degree. I just had to throw my two cents out there.

shakedust said...

How sad that I only have one blurker, apparently.

windarkwingod said...

Yo scrub that's whacked... Even at 42 I still cop the dope. BOOOYYAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

f o r r e s t said...

Sorry, Dust. I must read and reread before I post a comment.

But I have noticed the so-called "nerds" or "un-popular" enter college with a clean state and really blossom on their own with a new found confidence. (maybe it's different at a small college.)

But I really think that a lot of people grow out of their insecurities with age and maturity and confidence.

Dust, we missed you last night. Did you have a good B-day?



Miss Charisma,
I cannot wait for the kids with plugs in their ears to get old. I saw one guy the other day with his ear stretched out for a 3" diameter ring. That will be a nice look for a grandpa.

roamingwriter said...

Happy B Day late! My mother and I have observed that there will be rock and roll oldies playing in Old Folks Homes before long as the boomers retire.

I asked my dad once about being the bottom ring and having to learn to fit in again. ie. new school, work your way up to senior, graduate, then your on the bottom again as college freshman, then senior, boom new guy at work etc. I asked does it end? Dad said it happens one more time - when you retire. The new guy again. Sort of different but sort of those adjusting to what's around you things.