Wednesday, January 25, 2006

so it begins

On Monday I had my first official class at an official school for an official degree in over five years. Ironically, I expect this process will last another five years. The first two will probably be worse than the following three. The learning has already started on the first day, though. Here's what I learned first-hand so far:

  • Double-check which building the class is in next time. I didn't.
  • When reaching into an attaché assume that there is a rogue paper laying in wait to slice open a finger. I got a serious paper cut fifteen minutes before class. Blood all down my hand.
  • KU Edwards classrooms double as meat freezers when they are not in use. I'm not kidding. It's cold.
  • Make sure not to drink too much before a three and a half hour long class. Even with a rest break midway through the class it is hard to pay attention when you feel like you're going to explode.
  • Speaking of three and a half hours. That's a loooong time to listen to a lecture on managerial economics.
  • When I think about something like school a lot, it is about all I can talk about on my blog.
  • When buying a textbook from half.com, send a message to the seller to make sure they got the shipment request. The person I bought my book from didn't. They sent it priority mail on Monday. I had an online quiz on the first two chapters due today. I was fortunate that someone else in the class was willing to scan the first two chapters of the book for me to study before I receive my book.
  • I should have done this long ago.

5 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

You sound like an 18 year old freshman. Boy, schools seems to be coming at you with both fist swinging.

GoldenSunrise said...

I should have packed you band-aids in your attache case. And I should have dressed you warmer. Wear your coat during class.

T said...

3 1/2 hour class! Do you have a spiderman lunch box for your break?!

shakedust said...

OB is nice and fluffy. No tests. Just a quiz every class and a group presentation on the last day.

What's interesting is that Managerial Economics and Organizational Behavior address the same issues but from different sides of the brain. I feel like I am taking the same class twice--once from a logical perspective and once from a psychological perspective.

Dash said...

Didn't Destro and Cobra Commander always carry attache cases? I mean c'mon ... if it's not filled with Ivan the Terrible's DNA or world domination plans, it's just a bag.

... even with bandaids