Thursday, January 05, 2006

sidetracked - christmas pt 4

On Wednesday between Christmas and New Year's we went to the mall with my cousin, my sister, and her boyfriend. Most of the time at the mall was spent eating rather than shopping, though.

The discussion got into the strength and relevance of individual churches to relay truth, or at least that is my interpretation of where the conversation went. I enjoyed the conversation, but I did notice that I occasionally lost track of what I was trying to say when I spoke. Because of this I discovered something about myself that I did not like, but that Golden enthusiastically verified. I have a horrible tendency to ramble and go down irrelevant paths in my conversations when I don't know the right words to relay my point. I didn't totally dominate the conversations, but I probably spoke the most of anyone there due of this problem.

As a stupid example, if someone asked me whether I like reality shows I might say something like the following.
"Yes, I do. Well, not all of them. I like reality shows because they give insight into how people think. Some don't though. I like trying to figure out how people think because I don't tend to think like most other people, so their logic doesn't follow the same steps that mine does. Oh yeah, back to whether I like reality shows. I like the Amazing Race because it tests people's abilities more than popularity. That is the problem that I have with Survivor. I do like Survivor too, though, because people's personalities come out in that show. I don't usually watch Wife Swap or Fear Factor, but I don't know all the reasons why. I can explain my feelings about American Idol more clearly, though. I think... "
Exhausted yet?

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I think I have this problem too. I am gray in many areas or have pro's and con's on something that I like.

I am able to compartmentalize my thoughts (on the show for example) and put the good on one side and the bad on the other and then just enjoy watching the show for what it is.

I also understand how hard it is to answer a question like that when you have many ideas on the subject matter and a lot of experience to back it up. I can see how easy it is to ramble on.

Come ramble tonight at homer's.

shakedust said...

I'll be there ready to ramble tonight.

GoldenSunrise said...

When I ask Dust a question, I am usually looking for a yes or no answer. He isn't a yes or no kind of guy. It makes me have to listen and interpret for myself if the answer is yes or no. Too much work. It makes my brain hurt. : )

Dash said...

As a rambler myself, I know just what you mean... I mean sometimes you are trying to say something - say about hot vs. cold and you end up talking about long distance artic swimmers. Actually it's not always that bad if you manage to swim near one of the many volcanic islands near the south pole. The underwater eruptions that form the island warm the surrounding sear dramatically - by dramatically, I mean it wouldn't be frozen even if it were fresh water instead of saltwater.....zzzzzzzzz