Thursday, September 01, 2005

ironic

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought...it figures
The assertion has been raised in my office recently that the song Ironic doesn't really talk about anything that is ironic. I haven't come to any solid conclusion myself, but it was something to think about.

There is one thing that has happened to me, though, that I think is ironic. I took my sister to the airport this morning and so needed to plan out the trip from the house to the airport then to work. Typically, the quickest trip would be to take 635 around the west side of the city then drive up 29 to the airport. This makes for almost a direct drive from my house and is maybe 25-30 minutes. I was planning this in my head until I remembered that the 635 bridge over the Missouri river is shut down, so I would need to take an alternate route that would add about ten minutes to the trip one way (which is significant in the morning). That wasn't what was ironic, though.

As I was talking with my sister about something Golden came in and noted that she just heard that the 635 bridge was going to open the next day, but it would only open in the afternoon rather than in the morning. That was about as close to useful as the completion to the construction project could be without actually being useful. Isn't it ironic?

3 comments:

Dash said...

So, both you and golden have now quoted 'Ironic'. Does "Jagged little Pill" get a lot of play time on your cd player?

... when it's not playing Phantom - of course.

GoldenSunrise said...

ironically, we do not have that cd. I sing "Ironic" around the house. I had a friend in college that would play that song a lot, so it is etched in my mind.

Gloria said...

That's the irony of Ironic... get it?

Okay that was totally lame, I admit it, but really when you think about it, it is the only thing ironic about the song. ;)