Saturday, September 24, 2005

gridlock

I am a creature of habit and schedule. If anything messes up that habit or schedule I am not always the quickest to adapt.

My trek to the office every morning takes me through a half mile of residential areas, past a school, south on an expressway for about four or five miles, then through a suburban business district for about a half mile. The last half mile is always longer than the rest of the steps of the trip combined. Lately, it has been even worse, though.

It is bad enough that two extra lights have been added in that last half mile and that neither is timed so that I can skip past them on green. It is also bad enough that there has been significant construction going on for the better part of a year so as to add extra clutter onto an already busy section of road.

The final straw for me was half of the exit ramp off the highway onto this road was recently coned off. I assume that there will be construction on the ramp, but last I saw there were only the cones and the blocked off lanes looked usable otherwise. It took me two days worth of sitting in twenty minutes of traffic to get through one light to figure out that I should drive a back route to the office until the ramp is fully functional again.

The picture here is from the traffic jam that was caused by the blocked ramp lanes from after I got off work, so it is going the opposite direction that I am.

There does seem to be a lot of road construction as of late in the Overland Park area. It is probably better this way, since nicer roads mean fewer potholes and other inconveniences that can damage my car. I just wish it wouldn't cause such significant delays on my way to work.

3 comments:

T said...

I'm just guessing here...but do you get frustrated while driving in trafic that slows you down?!

f o r r e s t said...

I am so happy!
The road construction on I-35 is finished and was all clear for a smooth 3-lane drive to downtown this morning. It is now a pretty quick drive once I get on the highway.

shakedust said...

T, Have you been talking to Golden? People who drive slowly for no apparent reason do get under my skin.