Tuesday, September 06, 2005

silver dollar city: my version

Since everybody else is putting up multi-picture posts, I guess this is one more bridge I'll jump off. I got a little camera-happy this weekend, probably to the chagrin of those around me.

When we went to visit Golden's family for Labor Day and to celebrate her Dad's birthday, the decision was made to go to Silver Dollar City. We weren't really skipping church, because we went to the Wilderness Church at the park. Interestingly enough a lot of people came up with the idea to visit the park on that exact same day. I don't know exactly how many people were there this weekend, but it certainly seemed like a lot.

There are a few rides that I was interested in going on, one of which was the Powder Keg. This is a new ride and apparently goes from zero to some high mph value almost immediately, thus creating a powder keg affect. When we got to the line for the ride, though, we saw that it was rather long. No one in the group, including me, thought that it would be worth the wait. Later, there was talk of mechanical difficulties with the ride. It was probably best that we didn't get on that ride.

We were able to do other things besides the Powder Keg, though, including the Wild Fire. In my opinion an amusement park really isn't much of a park unless it has a good classic steel coaster, so Wild Fire makes Silver Dollar City worth a visit.

We also went on a few other coaster rides like Fire in the Hole and Thunderation. Both are fine, but really aren't incredibly exciting. Golden enjoys quoting some recordings that riders hear because those recordings are the same as when she rode it as a kid, but I didn't have the same memories to draw from.

One tradition that Golden's family follows almost every time they go to Silver Dollar City is to eat lunch at The Mine restaurant. It is a buffet place that is build to give you the impression that you are actually in a mine. The plates and cups are metal and utilitarian and the tables and chairs are very simplistic wood creations. The lighting is from lamps hung on the walls and there is even an interior pond that runs through a small waterwheel to give the impression--well, I am not completely certain the impression that it is supposed to give.

There is also a table that is rigged to rise slowly when a switch is thrown and confuse the people eating there. This was the first time that I have seen people eat at that table and not have the table rise on them. The waitress seemed a little busy, so maybe no one had time to flip the switch.

One of the things that Golden had decided she wanted do to was get kettle corn from Silver Dollar City. We saw a stand for kettle corn but decided we would wait until later to pick some up nearer to the entrance to the park. Once we got to where we thought kettle corn could be bought around the gate to the park, we found out that the kettle corn stand was no more. Golden's Dad volunteered to go back across the park and get the sought after corn. I volunteered to tag along. The corn was good, but I am still not sure it was worth all the exercise.

I asked Golden if the park was everything she wanted it to be. She commented that it was. I then asked if we were set for another five years. Apparently we will be going to Silver Dollar City again some time before five years is up.

10 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I would love to go to the Christmas celebration at SDC and look at the lights and drink hot chocolate!

Jadee said...

Would that be for Christmas 2005? Or Christmas 2010? LOL!

Since my B-day is in December, I always wanted to go there at Christmastime too...that it would be romantic. Oh well!

I am glad your honey went with you at least during the summer! =D

Dash said...

Dust,

Did you manage to fit Marvel Cave into your schedule? It's still the best part of the City.

... Well except for when the guy says, "that gol'durn Baldknobber stole my pants" on - Fire in the Hoooooolllllllle.

I used to love reading all the tombstones in the Firemen's cemetery outside the ride.

"Here lies Glenroy Blight
Thought He was Hot Stuff
Guess He Was Right"

f o r r e s t said...

I have never been to the mine restaurant. Sounds cool, how much?

I love the kettle corn too. A tradition for me is to get one of those huge chocalate chip cookies.

I also enjoy the christmas celebration. Let's go!

uqdcpghz

GoldenSunrise said...

The mine restaurant is an all- you can- eat buffet for @ $6-7. Salad, pie, chicken, potatoes, and veggies!

T said...

I think we've eaten at the mine with my folks once? The place we ate at wasn't all you can eat and I am pretty sure we spent more then 6 or 7. Is there another restaurant like it at the City that I might be thinking of? Most of our meals were at the BBQ/home of the "grilled corn on the cob" Place that was out in the open. We even ate under their patio when it was raining! That was fun!

I miss the City, sometimes. But then I think about the cost and how we'd have to live there to buy season passes (which is the only way I go to the City....way to of inflated price for my taste! Especially when you've been a season pass holder!) and then I get over it!

Achtung BB said...

I'm forced to get kettle corn too everytime we past by a stand. Some day I'd like to go to "Steal Your Dollar City"

GoldenSunrise said...

T,The Mill restaurant is above the Mine and it has similar foods. It is also a buffet style.

I wouldn't pay full price for a pass or one day ticket. My parents have guest passes, but some weekends they do not accept them-like Labor Day. They had a coupon to get a guest in for $15 with a season pass holder.

shakedust said...

Dash, actually I have never been in Marvel Cave yet. The drawback of going to SDC with people who have been going there for years is that they don't think to stop at those types of places in the park more than once.

Maybe in the future, though...

Doc said...

I enjoy SDC, but autumn is the best time to go. It may be crowded, but all the kids are in school so the lines for the rides are short. Like Sunrise, now I mostly enjoy the park for the nostalgia. I sing along to the "Fire-in-the-hole" song and always duck on the last hill where someone was decapitated due to the train veering into the maintenance bay instead of coming into the loading/unloading station. Too bad you missed out on Powderkeg. For me it was the best ride in the park. From the line it does not look so impressive, but it exceeded my expectations.