Thursday, September 22, 2005

coldplay

Coldplay is one of those bands that exists in that world between groups I love and groups I can't stand. I can enjoy their music, but I won't go out of my way to listen to them. So when Forrest asked if I wanted to go to a Coldplay concert my natural reaction was, "That's too expensive!" because I am such a tightwad. Eventually Forrest got desperate and the price for the spare ticket he had gone down, so I agreed to go.

It's a long story how the tickets worked out like this, but the spare was a single away from the other seats that Forrest had purchased. As a result I watched and listened to Coldplay alone, or as alone as I could be with several thousand people crowded around me.

Some things of note that happened.
  • BB agreed to drive me there, so the entire Achtung family plus me crammed into his Matrix and went to the baby sitter's to drop off the kids. I appreciate very much the patience it took to allow for one more body in the car.
  • When I walked into the park I was asked if I wanted to donate to some cause. I quickly reacted, "No," but I felt like a jerk for saying that because the reason wasn't that I didn't have much cash on me. It wasn't that I didn't want to contribute to some worthy cause.
  • I was also asked to sign a petition. I didn't for two reasons. First, I already get enough spam, and they wanted my email address. Second, people trying to get you to sign a petition rarely have more information about the cause other than the sales pitch they have been taught. I wanted to be sure I understood the issue before signing my name.
  • When I went to my seat there was hardly anyone near it. There were two girls sitting in the two seats directly to the right of my seat, though. I felt it too awkward to sit right next to them while all the other seats in the area were empty, so for the entire opening act I sat in someone else's seat who hadn't shown up yet.
  • It was incredibly warm for the first night in autumn.
  • I thought about bringing a camera, but decided against it because I thought I might get stopped at the gate and have to take it back to the car. Midway through the concert, the lettering on the screen behind the band informed people that they should take pictures now.
  • I had a hard time getting a Sprint PCS signal inside Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. I'm sure that wasn't intentional.
  • BB ran into a client in the entryway of the amphitheater. Does he run into someone he knows everywhere he goes?
  • Forrest came over to talk to me during the exceedingly long intermission. The person behind me recognized him and attempted to monopolize the conversation. Does he run into someone he knows everywhere he goes?
  • I found out that I am simply not aggressive in crowds. I was passed by countless people as I tried to work my way out of the amphitheater after the concert. I don't have what it takes to elbow and cut people off to move forward quickly.
If you care about the musical aspect of the concert Forrest and BB can give you more cogent thoughts. I enjoyed it, but I have little more to say than that.

6 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I am glad you came. I hope you enjoyed the music.

Was Chris Martin close to you when he ran out into the crowd?

During the show, everyone in our section was standing and we had extra room in our row. I thought about getting you, but you had such a great seat, I didn't want to take that away from you for our lowsy seats.

shakedust said...

I was fine where I was.

He was actually right next to my section. Twenty five seats over and three rows down.

I didn't see too much of him though because half the people in my section ran toward where he was and stood on the chairs are there.

f o r r e s t said...

Oh the wonders of rock stardom or celebrity.

GoldenSunrise said...

It makes me sad that you were sitting alone. I guess people can't really talk at concerts anyway, though.

Dash said...

For what it's worth :-)

I used to get a lot of calls from VZW customers compalining about not getting good signal at the ampitheatre.

This may not be the case now, but a tech guy that I knew ... (one of the real "can you hear me now" guys that drive around in vans checking signal strenth) said that whenever you are right under a tower (and out of the range of another) you get the worst signal ... since the signal is made to go out not down.

Your PCS phone probably didn't work either because it was likely sharing the same tower.

.... oh to be a customer service guy again.....peaks and valleys of stress ...people desperate to have you fix all their problems ... spending all day on the phone.

oh wait - that's my current job.

Dash said...

Word verification: "tebeysm"

/t,e,bay,sm/ noun ~ descriptions of junk on ebay that somehow become acceptable standards of apraisal.... even though they were originally typos.