Thursday, September 08, 2005

by its cover

Last night I caught the tail end of a discussion at church between Forrest and someone else in the church. What I caught was Forrest describing the book that he is going to teach in Sunday this quarter called Blue Like Jazz. At this point I have not read the book, but I am definitely interested in reading it and learning from it after hearing Forrest's description.

The conversation, however, was not started as a discussion of the merits of the book topic, but as a question of why a Sunday School class would be taught out of a book that did not have an overtly Christian name. I don't need to belabor my feelings about judging things based on whether they appear Christian, but if I didn't this post would end right here.

3 comments:

Dash said...

Not to state the obvious ... but not everything with an "Overtly Christian Label" is exactly worthy of using in Sunday School. This is too often true from both a doctrinal and qualitative perspective.

i.e. the prayer of jabez for the the coffee drinking, u2 humming, recovering righteousness addict.

Anonymous said...

The irony of it all was that the subtitle is "nonreligious thoughts on christian spirituality." I was having to explain the book title to someone who wanted a Religious sounding book.

Achtung BB said...

I've started reading the book and find it very relevant. The author talks a lot about sterotypical Christians. (The kind that might get upset reading a book that doesn't have a Christian name). So far I'm very impressed with this book's content and can relate to a lot of what the author is saying. What's in a name anyway?