Thursday, June 16, 2005

you gotta start sometime

Things are never gonna be the way you want.
Where's it gonna get you acting serious?
Things are never gonna be quite what you want.
Or even at 25, you gotta start sometime.

I hate it when a song convicts me, especially when the song has little to do with what I am convicted about. I was riding in the car minding my own business kind of blaming God for some things in my life not too long ago, and Jimmy Eat World's A Praise Chorus came on. About the time I heard the lyrics above I had to stop and think. Since I am 25 for another month, even the last line is applicable in an ironic way.

The point of the song as a whole seems to revolve around the idea that it just screws up your life more to let your personal issues paralyze you from taking a first step. Truthfully, I don't have any particular first steps to take right now, but it got me thinking about what I expect from God in my life.

In my pessimistic way I claim to understand that things aren't going to be quite what I want, but then I get upset at God when they aren't. What is really ironic is that a lot of what I had been telling God was wrong in my life has been dealt with already, and so it is no longer wrong. I guess I need to start trusting God more. Even at 25, I gotta start sometime.

5 comments:

windarkwingod said...

Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short

Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself

They'll be ga ga at the go go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond
Brilliantined
Biblical hair

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

T said...

I've had this happen with sermons. It's weird how we can be convicted by things that seem unconnected, but I guess everything is connected with God.

Jadee said...

Music is what penetrates my soul. Even secular music can drive a point home to me too.

Which is probably why my church occastionally uses a song from top artists. For those of you that are fans...we even had a song from Coldplay the other week! Our band did a great job!

windarkwingod said...

Have you ever had the experience of the Holy Spirit singing the same words back to you through other people's voices? I'm not trying to be silly - It is always startling and consuming. Some lyrics lend themselves to both directions, especially the worship songs that reflect love: "I would lay it all down again... just to say that I'm your friend. Draw me close to you and never let me go..."

f o r r e s t said...

Music has been nagging at me lately, actually it always nags at me. Let it go go go go go go go go go go go go gog og go gog og g og ogogogo og gog og.....